General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need A/C Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need A/C Help Please!

My A/C on my 1997 F150 5.4 liter was blowing last week, not ice cold but cool, now it's not blowing even a little cool. I bought the recharge kit and connected it to the low pressure port but cannot get it to take the refrigerant. I have hooked the can up to the hose correctly, punctured the can of course (I'm sure someone will ask LOL) turned the a/c on max with the truck running but no luck. I have a Mustang that I recharged myself with no problems, so it's not like this is entirely new to me. Does anyone have any ideas of what I may be doing wrong. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You did hook it up to the low pressure side?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Yes, it is on the cannister (accumulator) on the firewall on the passenger side correct?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 AM

Make sure you turn it upside down and hold it for a while. AC units are a wet system, meaning they are both coolant and lubricant. The clutch will not engage unless it's got enough lubricant to operate normally, so it might take a bit of time to filter through the system. That being said, make sure the clutch is engaging....
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to throw that BS recharge kit away. Take it to a good shop, or buy a set of gauges and charge it the right way. Need to see what your static pressure is. If the static pressure is 100PSI then you are not going to put a single drop of freon in the truck. If the static pressure is over 50 and the compressor is not coming on there is a problem somewhere.

Quick Reply: Need A/C Help Please!