General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Fixing Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Advice on Fixing Engine Issues

In my 2017 Lariat I have a 5.0L engine with deep internal issues. It is a 2017 Coyote engine that is gurgling to the point it stalls when at its worst. It appears that the issue is most relevant at low idle. By far most of the time it is not stalling. It actually can still run quite smooth at idle when it is in the mood. However, when I am pulling my contractors trailer up hills on the highway the check engine light will start flashing with 2-3-4 cylinder misfire issues. Maybe someone can coach me on how to select a good mechanic to dig into my engine issues. If it has to be a dealer is it better to go to a more rural dealer than the big city dealer that owns multiple dealerships? I have a runner control valve code too (stuck closed P2007) so I have a pretty good idea I will be needing a new intake manifold (broken IMRC shaft?). I have been keeping my eye out for a new intake manifold; however, it seems like it could be many months to get in since no one has it in stock due to raw material shortages. Maybe someone knows a trick for getting a hold of a new manifold. It is one of those parts that no third party supplier wants to make a knock-off.

I have been told that if I did decide to put in a new engine, the new engine does not come with the intake manifold. It goes for around $7K. At this juncture I would consider trading it in but I would imagine that my 2017 Lariat with the aluminum body and it being in very nice condition (black in color) might be worth the investment to fix the engine and intake manifold to prop up the trade-in value. If I do decide I will be trading it in do I not consider a new engine? I like the idea of getting a new guaranteed FORD engine. The truck has 145K on it presently. If anyone can chime in on which fork in the road I should take I would greatly appreciate the advice.

If I do trade it in what would be the minimum size engine I would need to pull a 14 foot long, 7 foot wide, 7 feet high contractor's trailer full of wood, tools and ladders on top. The trailer is all aluminum. The weight of my F150 (6.5 foot bed) is around 6K lbs and the trailer hovers around 5.5 K lbs loaded up. The trailer has 4 wheels.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:12 AM

Received 455 Likes on 404 Posts

You need to post the Diagnostic Trouble Codes so that we can help you.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:58 PM

I have P2007 runner control valve stuck closed and 2-3-4 cylinder misfires. The P2007 code I believe has nothing to do with the engine issues I am told. I will alos need a new intake manifold to fix the P2007 code though. I brought it to the dealer and he said that I would to reschedule for a deep dive into the engine. I when for a second opinion, a guy who was a Ford tech once upon a time and he agree there is a deep issue with those misfires. I believe the compression was okay though but I would have to reach out to the mechanic to double check. The write up from the dealer was quite sketchy, not saying anything very specific. Just generalities.

The engine is now at a point where it chokes at low idle, at least some of the time, not all the time. It is even stalling at lights while at low idle. Still runs quite well on the highway and can pass a car on flat ground. When pulling a load (5.6 K lbs contractor's trailer) up a hill the check engine light will start flashing due to misfires. I tried to drive in 4A drive to see if the check engine light would stop flashing on the hills but to no avail.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

phasers solenoids?
Old 03-13-2024, 06:16 PM

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Fix the known issues before chasing the broader ones. Broken intake runner valves can absolutely cause misfire issues. If you're really having issues with finding a manifold, look for used, or look at the Boss 302 manifold. Its bolt on and looks great, however it changes the power delivery a bit.

Don't load the parts cannon and hope something sticks. Diagnose and investigate properly.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:24 PM

"Load the parts cannon"... never heard that... very funny! You make sense with respect to diagnosing before changing everything. However, I already brought it to dealer and they said my issue is not the manifold runner control valve stuck closed. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Fixing Engine Issues