Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new ecoboost is averaging 15.6 mpg , and i drive EASY...... ( disappointing )

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new ecoboost is averaging 15.6 mpg , and i drive EASY...... ( disappointing )

Well, 1,200 miles on my new F150 with the FAMOUS ecoboost motor , and I'm averaging 15-16 mpg. Wow. Everybody needs one.

Yeah , torque up the assss. Squeal the tires at any speed , but that's not why I bought the truck. It was because Ford told the world it got good gas mileage. BS. A flat out lie.

Unless this is purely a break-in period , and the computer is preventing the motor from working efficiently ??

Anyone know if there is hope , or are ecoboost owners fked , when it comes to mileage ?

I've driven like a little old lady , and still can't get any better mileage. Of course Ford's on-board instant economy on the dash , makes it hard to ignore.

What gives ?

And anyone who wants to rant about : it's a truck man ( its not supposed to get good gas mileage ) , need not reply. I know it's got boatloads of Torque. Big deal.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty good for a truck with that much power to lay down. You should have just done some research before making a purchase and you would have easily found out that for most the advertised numbers were not realistic.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 126 Likes on 37 Posts

When I got mine, I was easily getting 18+mpg combined. Ever since the 8k or so mark (I now have 17k), I'm in the 15-16 ballpark. Eco Duped.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 PM

geesh. This is what I just said.

Spare me the " pretty good for a truck , and with all that power , blah blah blah "

Yeah , I should have done some research and found out that Ford lied thru their azz withering estimates. Like not even close. What a crock.

I really like the truck , but Ford really fkd the American people with the "Eco" boost BS. Powerful yes. Economical , not hardly. This is the **** I'd like to know up front.

Anyone out there who can read my post have anything positive to say about future expectations with the motor's mpg ?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AreL11
When I got mine, I was easily getting 18+mpg combined. Ever since the 8k or so mark (I now have 17k), I'm in the 15-16 ballpark. Eco Duped.
Thanks for your honesty. Not what I was hoping for , but at least you are honest. Thanks , I know how you feel.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't live in town. Because of where I live my highway driving is at 55-60 mph. I get 21+, and that's in an FX4 with 3.72 rear end. Describe your daily drive
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 1poorplayer
Well, 1,200 miles on my new F150 with the FAMOUS ecoboost motor , and I'm averaging 15-16 mpg. Wow. Everybody needs one.

Yeah , torque up the assss. Squeal the tires at any speed , but that's not why I bought the truck. It was because Ford told the world it got good gas mileage. BS. A flat out lie.

Unless this is purely a break-in period , and the computer is preventing the motor from working efficiently ??

Anyone know if there is hope , or are ecoboost owners fked , when it comes to mileage ?

I've driven like a little old lady , and still can't get any better mileage. Of course Ford's on-board instant economy on the dash , makes it hard to ignore.

What gives ?

And anyone who wants to rant about : it's a truck man ( its not supposed to get good gas mileage ) , need not reply. I know it's got boatloads of Torque. Big deal.
I never go by the economy values on the window sticker. They are determined on a government track. Here in Canada they consider highway speeds in these tests to be in the 80-90km/h range, or 50 to 55 miles per hour. I just this minute saw an Ecoboost commercial with Denis Leary tells me it gets 32 mpg!

I wonder if I can buy some pot from him.

Here in Alberta, our busiest highway is QE2, and the average speed is 120-125km/h even though the posted limit is 110. My 5.0 liter gets 18 combined economy, and in the mid 20's on the highway. Another thing to consider is we base our economy on the Imperial gallon which is 4.5456 liters, as opposed to the US gallon which is 3.78.

That said, several people I know are claiming the 20 + mpg range with the Ecoboost after around the 10,000km mark. (6,000 miles) They could probably be considered "average" drivers, not being aggressive or passive as far as driving habits are concerned.

I should hope that the Ecoboost, once broken in would reasonably get 25mpg. And to be honest, I've never heard anything from actual drivers to dispute that.

Hopefully you will eventually find this to be true. If not, I don't know what the issue could be.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Both my 2011 and 2012 had or currently have under 16 mpg lifetime average. Yet my 2011 consistantly made 20+ hwy and my 2012 is making right about 19. Both at 70. At 80 the 2011 made 17.5, the 2012 about 16. The difference is 3.31 vs 3.73 gearing. Ford doesn't create the EPA numbers. They are meant to be a comparison tool. Trucks have a great variety of gearing and options. Apparently Manufacturers send them one version, usually the most fuel efficient version. The EPA uses that one for their unrealistic tests and issues fuel economy estimates for all. Read up on how they test. Highway testing averages 48mph with a high of 60. No way a spartan super cab 3.15 geared Eco makes the same real world mileage as a decked out screw 157" with 3.73.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

most people report better mileage around the 6-8K mark, but if you only drive around town its always gonna be lower, the higher numbers will come on the highway unless you are driving 90.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Surprise! you bought a TRUCK! if you want good gas mileage buy a car. end of story.

Quick Reply: My new ecoboost is averaging 15.6 mpg , and i drive EASY...... ( disappointing )