Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Eco died tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Speed Addict

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default My Eco died tonight....

.....then came back to life. 2014 FX4 SCab, with Ecoboost, just turned 60,000 miles. Was driving home from work this afternoon when all of a sudden there was no response to me pushing on the gas pedal. The truck did not stall, but just went to about 1100rpms and no higher. Pulled off and started making calls. The "Wrench" light was on. I let it run as I wanted to keep the AC going.

I have a good Ford extended warranty. I had put in 20 gallons of gas about 3 hours earlier.

So after calling the service dept. where I bought it, he told me to call Ford for a tow, which I did. As I'm waiting, just for laughs, I shut off the truck, then start it back up...and everything is normal! WTF, Over!?

Luckily, I was only 2 miles from home, so I went home. I started/shutoff/started it a few times tonight, and all is normal!

I'm planning to take it in to the dealer tomorrow anyway. Should I? Has anyone had this happen to them? The tech guy at my dealer suggested it may be a bad fuel pump, or maybe a bad throttle body injection system.

Last edited by northflguy; 05-25-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by northflguy
.....then came back to life. 2014 FX4 SCab, with Ecoboost, just turned 60,000 miles. Was driving home from work this afternoon when all of a sudden there was no response to me pushing on the gas pedal. The truck did not stall, but just went to about 1100rpms and no higher. Pulled off and started making calls. The "Wrench" light was on. I let it run as I wanted to keep the AC going.

I have a good Ford extended warranty. I had put in 20 gallons of gas about 3 hours earlier.

So after calling the service dept. where I bought it, he told me to call Ford for a tow, which I did. As I'm waiting, just for laughs, I shut off the truck, then start it back up...and everything is normal! WTF, Over!?

Luckily, I was only 2 miles from home, so I went home. I started/shutoff/started it a few times tonight, and all is normal!

I'm planning to take it in to the dealer tomorrow anyway. Should I? Has anyone had this happen to them? The tech guy at my dealer suggested it may be a bad fuel pump, or maybe a bad injector.
Same thing happened to me in our road service van, a 2017 Ford Transit 250, the throttle body was the issue and I found out later our other 3 vans did the same thing and the same part was to blame.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:32 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Sounds like the ETB (electronic throttle body). Common on some Explorers (mainly police interceptor units with the Ecoboost). Some ETB's from the police fleet found its way to other Ecoboost engines and Ford has a way to find out which ones.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Yep, I agree with the others, "Throttle Body." My wife's previous '10 Mustang GT did the same thing. I pulled it over, hit the switch, the wrench cleared, and it ran fine. Got us where we were going. Started out the next day, and boom, the wrench was back. Replaced the throttle body sensor, and it was good to go.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM
Speed Addict

Update: So I started it up yesterday morning, and I had NO problems on my 10-mile drive to the dealer. I didn't have an appt., so I got there at 0620 so I could be first in line when they opened at 7....and that didn't do me any good, as the truck sat in their parking lot all day yesterday and half of today!

I stopped by in person around 11am today and begged a service guy to get it in and looked at. He calls me back later and says they looked at it, and got nuthin....no bad codes, no stored codes, no problems on a test drive.

So I picked it up around 2 today, and had no problems....so far. Of course I'm thinking it's going to happen again, and probably at a bad time. Lol
Old 05-28-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Look at this link...I had the same issue and you can follow along with my pain as it's similar to yours

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/frust...-owner-381984/
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

By the time you got it there, whatever soft codes were set during the failure were wiped clean by all the starting and stopping of the engine. Keep that in mind when it happens again. When it does, restart ONCE and drive right to the dealer and do not shut it off and have them pull codes right then. Takes them only a few minutes to hook up.

I don't know if Parts stores code pullers can see the soft codes, but you can give them a try as well. Photograph the device showing the codes so that you have visual proof of the codes because, frankly, Dealer service sucks.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Speed Addict

Thanks for the tip, acdii. I have my own OBD scanner; should I scan it next time it happens?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by northflguy
Thanks for the tip, acdii. I have my own OBD scanner; should I scan it next time it happens?

Yes, before turning the engine off. I have a scan gauge that I used to have connected all the time, and when I had that one time issue of ingesting water from the intercooler when passing a truck and had the wrench light flash, I was able to grab the codes right away which indicated cylinder misfire.

So when it happens and your off on the side, plug it in, and record the codes, take a picture too as it helps to have visual proof instead of just say so. If your service manager is any good he/she will write them down on the service order for the tech, and if the tech is any good will know what to look for. At that point they can't say, no codes since you have visual proof of the codes, and to go one step further, take the picture with the dash in the background with the odometer, and if the CEL is on, showing.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Love My Eco

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Same happened to me today, driving down the highway and got stuck at 5k RPM no matter what nothing, it started to sputter, took it to ford, i had about 4 codes, they said the Throttle Body was bad and one of my Coil Packs were bad. I have and extended warranty through my insurance company so they are covering everything including a rental i'm using.
I have an '11 Screw EcoBoost FX4 61k miles on it. i'm the only owner and have lived in mid GA/AL entire life