Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple system Errors then no throttle and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple system Errors then no throttle and rough idle

Good evening,
Been reading and researching this but haven't found a great thread to get started troubleshooting besides look at the fuses or jump straight into replacing the entire steering column??? I have seen check the wheel speed sensor, not sure how I would know if that was good or not though?

2016 F150, 3.5l Ecoboost, XLT, 140k miles, routine maint always done.
Issue: while driving (not recreatable on demand) will randomly, but frequently, pop up with service advanctrak, downhill assist fault, abs fault, and a couple other warnings on dash then I loose all power. If I stop and put it in park, turn it off an then on, it seems to take longer then normal to start but will start and drive normal. Sometimes even clears the check engine light. It will drive normal for a short, variable distance then repeat. I used my forscan and got a ton of different codes.

DTCs in PCM: P2112:00-AC, U0422:00-2F
DTCs in OBDII: P2112-C
DTCs in FCIM: U0155:00-0A, U0253:00-0A, U0401:82-0A, U0452:82-0A
DTCs in OCS: U0401:00-28
DTCs in ABS: U3013:16-08, U0401:02-08, U0401:00-08
DTCs in RCM: B00A0:68-08
DTCs in PSCM: U0401:00-08

There are so many system failures that it almost seems like an electrical board is failing or losing power from the electrical system? Some of the systems don't seem to be related without it being an entire harness or something. I can clear all the codes out with forscan app except for the "PCM U0422:00-2f". It says invalid data received from Body Control Module. For some reason when I reset the DTCs this one doesn't seem to reset. I would really appreciate any thoughts. Its really pretty dangerous to drive this way as I loose power without any notice so its pretty much stuck until I can figure it out. Thanks for the efforts.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:59 AM

Received 464 Likes on 412 Posts

I have not worked on 2016s but it sounds like your traction control system is detecting wheel slipage and putting the truck into safe mode. The dash indicator "check the wheel speed sensor" points to this. Again I have not worked on 2016s but most wheel hubs have a cogged wheel that the sensor uses to count the wheel revolutions and the computer compares this number to the other numbers from the other wheels to determine if any of the wheels are slipping. Check your owners manual - I would not be surprised if the traction control system can be turned off and that should allow you to drive without the safe mode comming on. Some of these systems are called Advance Trac. Problem may be that the sensor connector has gone bad, the wire is chafed, cogged wheel rusted or debris (these are little magnets) contaminated with rust.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jimboy
I have not worked on 2016s but it sounds like your traction control system is detecting wheel slipage and putting the truck into safe mode. The dash indicator "check the wheel speed sensor" points to this. Again I have not worked on 2016s but most wheel hubs have a cogged wheel that the sensor uses to count the wheel revolutions and the computer compares this number to the other numbers from the other wheels to determine if any of the wheels are slipping. Check your owners manual - I would not be surprised if the traction control system can be turned off and that should allow you to drive without the safe mode comming on. Some of these systems are called Advance Trac. Problem may be that the sensor connector has gone bad, the wire is chafed, cogged wheel rusted or debris (these are little magnets) contaminated with rust.
Im going to start with those sensors tomorrow. I really hope you are correct and I e been thinking about those all night. I will also try turning off the traction control to rule those out. That was a good idea. You are correct about the safe mode thing with the engine. Still worried it is a short, grounding issue or some obscure electrical connection because of the DTS errors in things like passenger monitoring system? Appreciate the reply. Will keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:29 AM

No luck turning off the traction control. Immediately did it again when I pulled out of driveway. Going to move to try to clean throttle body this afternoon.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,266 Likes on 2,900 Posts

P2112-Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System stuck closed

you need a throttle body, cleaning won't do a thing

Old 03-15-2022, 11:04 AM

Thanks man. I think I am going to go ahead and pick one up on the way home. I think you are right. I found a TSB on it and what appears to be a really good video with explanations of the codes also. Everything lines up as the oil build up in there causing it to need to be replaced. Much better then having to trouble shoot electronics. I'll post the TSB and video once I verify everything. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:07 AM

Received 464 Likes on 412 Posts

"No luck turning off the traction control. Immediately did it again when I pulled out of driveway. Going to move to try to clean throttle body this afternoon."
Make sure you read up on that first, I have seen references to severe finger damage if the throttle body closes on your fingers.
If you are in the "Rust Belt" you may want to check the ground wires located behind the kick panels on both the drivers and passengers side. Bad grounds cause all sort of weird problems.

Last edited by Jimboy; 03-15-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
theemann77479 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:08 AM

Default Fixed

That was a pretty wild ride researching potential issues. I'm glad I figured it out but never would have thought about the throttle body being an issue without coming across one obscure thread that lead me in the right direction. Bottom line, on the 3.5 ecoboot "built on or before May 31, 2016" there was an issue with oil getting into the the sensors of the throttle body and when that happens, tripping all the sensors and put the vehicle into "Failure Mode Effects Management" (FMEM). I went ahead and replaced the throttle body and seal instead of just trying to clean it up. It was a pretty easy swap, took about an hour and cost $190 for OEM from dealership. Cleared the DTMs and and it has been running like a champ. No failures, no codes, no loss of power. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here is the video that I ended up at that finally helped explain it with all the errors and lead me to go ahead and replace it instead of just trying to clean it. I have also attached pictures of my throttle body where you can see the oil and the TSB referenced.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB on Throttle Body issue.pdf (61.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-22-2022, 02:22 PM

Default 2019 Jimboy

Originally Posted by Jimboy
"No luck turning off the traction control. Immediately did it again when I pulled out of driveway. Going to move to try to clean throttle body this afternoon."
Make sure you read up on that first, I have seen references to severe finger damage if the throttle body closes on your fingers.
If you are in the "Rust Belt" you may want to check the ground wires located behind the kick panels on both the drivers and passengers side. Bad grounds cause all sort of weird problems.

Have you seen this happening on newer models .. I had the exact same thing happen this morning. Took it to the dealership and they could not find any codes but could see the warnings cycle on the dash
Old 10-22-2022, 02:43 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by lorent
Have you seen this happening on newer models .. I had the exact same thing happen this morning. Took it to the dealership and they could not find any codes but could see the warnings cycle on the dash
What are you driving?

Quick Reply: Multiple system Errors then no throttle and rough idle