General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Wheel Air Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Max Wheel Air Pressure

Did a cursory search for this but didnt know in whcih forum to even look.
Own a 17 Screw XLT with the 3.5 EB, with max tow. I tow 5- 10k miles each yr with this and still on the stock Wranglers. I will be getting a larger heavier trailer and have been thinking about upgrading the tires to E load allowing inflation pressures up to 80#. Never really thought about the wheels themselves having a max pressure rating before, but have learned that not all wheels are created equal for inflation pressure.
Anyone know how to figure out what pressures my stock wheels can handle?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I don't know the answer, but 80 PSI is more than your wheels can handle. And you don't need 80 PSI for any load you will put in your truck. The "P" rated tires that came on it will carry more weight than your truck can handle. You could stay with P tires and air them up to about 40-45 psi when carrying or towing heavy and be just fine.

But if you want to go up to "E" rated tires there is little downside other than cost. The biggest advantage to E tires is a tougher sidewall for off road driving. You'll just have to experiment with different PSI to see what works best for you,but generally you will run about the same, maybe less PSI in them. They are a stiffer tire and don't need as much air.

I'm betting around 35-40 PSI will be about right unloaded and 40-45 PSI loaded heavy. Your trucks payload is probably around 2000 lbs, maybe less. The 80 PSI is for guys running 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with 3000-4000 lbs in the truck. It'd ride awful and bounce down the road at 80 PSI even if the wheels could handle it.

And having the max tow doesn't necessarily mean your truck will handle a heavier trailer. It is all about payload, not tow ratings. Better check that 1st.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I can tell you running 80psi will all but jar your teeth loose. I would agree that running 45 would be a good compromise on a P rated when loaded (I run 40 in my e rated tires on my f150) and back down to 35-40 unloaded.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Some wheels are stamped the max air psi. IDK if the Fords are.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshallr
I don't know the answer, but 80 PSI is more than your wheels can handle. And you don't need 80 PSI for any load you will put in your truck. The "P" rated tires that came on it will carry more weight than your truck can handle. You could stay with P tires and air them up to about 40-45 psi when carrying or towing heavy and be just fine.

But if you want to go up to "E" rated tires there is little downside other than cost. The biggest advantage to E tires is a tougher sidewall for off road driving. You'll just have to experiment with different PSI to see what works best for you,but generally you will run about the same, maybe less PSI in them. They are a stiffer tire and don't need as much air.

I'm betting around 35-40 PSI will be about right unloaded and 40-45 PSI loaded heavy. Your trucks payload is probably around 2000 lbs, maybe less. The 80 PSI is for guys running 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with 3000-4000 lbs in the truck. It'd ride awful and bounce down the road at 80 PSI even if the wheels could handle it.

And having the max tow doesn't necessarily mean your truck will handle a heavier trailer. It is all about payload, not tow ratings. Better check that 1st.
Many thanks for your thoughts on this Marshallr.
Yeah, I'm real familiar with the critical parameters relative to matching a travel trailer to a tow vehicle. Main thought behind the E rated tires at higher pressure is for the added stability to the rear of the truck.. It's a common mod many do especially if they're trying to improve on a sway issue. Heavy tongue weights with flexible tire sidewalls do not make a good pairing. With my current setup 700# or so on the WD hitch and Timbrens, ,everything behaves well. Ill be going to abt 1000# and thought stiffer tires would be a good pre-emptive step to take.
We also boondock camp and those Wranglers don't look like they'll stand up to much abuse typical on Forest roads.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Capable DIYer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My new 2018 Supercab 4x4, max tow package wheels say:
"Max PSI 51."
So today when I aired them up at Fredmyers I aired them up to 45 psi. Helps with rolling resistance. For the little bit of yard waste and furniture I load in the bed it's a good compromise.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Army Strong
My new 2018 Supercab 4x4, max tow package wheels say:
"Max PSI 51."
So today when I aired them up at Fredmyers I aired them up to 45 psi. Helps with rolling resistance. For the little bit of yard waste and furniture I load in the bed it's a good compromise.
Wheels or tires say 51 psi max? That sounds like it's probably the tire rating.

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 AM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Keep an eye on tire wear whilst playing with your air pressures
Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't run less air in E-rated tires, you may cause sidewall cracking. Too much flexing. Michelin recommends 48psi minimum for my MS/2E. I run 55-60 towing.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Capable DIYer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Wheels or tires say 51 psi max? That sounds like it's probably the tire rating.
My tires are the Good Year Wrangler Fortitude HT with a max tire pressure of 51 PSI at max load (2756 lbs)

Quick Reply: Max Wheel Air Pressure