Sponsored by:

Map/dome light nuked!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Question Map/dome light nuked!

2004 F150 Lariat, 4x4..

My overhead map/dome light finally crapped out the other day. It started with one light, then finally the other. I thought it was a simple burned bulb, but it turned out to be a much bigger mess. The housing that the bulbs screw into melted down to the point they will no longer make proper contact with the metal 'circuit' traces. It's like someone took a torch to it and melted it down .

The possible good news is, it appears the dome light assembly can be separated into 2 parts. It's the (white) rear half that is melted down. My front part that has the lenses is in great shape.

Does anyone know the part number of the rear-half of the dome light? Or perhaps someone has one they want to part with?
I'm not even sure if Ford sells it separately. Hopefully they do. I noticed this rear-half is used across different dome lights and models, so with any luck I can find a new one.

My dome light assembly has the switches for the sunroof and rear-slider, but when I was researching, I noticed this rear-half of the dome light is used on lights with and without those switches, so I'm guessing its somewhat universal? Most of my searching was in the 2004-2008 F150 models, so I don't know how many more models used that rear-half. I'm guessing several.

Ebay has some (used) complete assemblies, but most are far more than I care to spend, and I'm concerned I'll be looking at the same problem a few years down the road. I realize that plastic gets brittle and usually breaks due to the heating/cooling of the bulbs, but melted? You got me on that one. My bulbs were factory too.

Worse case scenario I will try to rebuild my dome light using LED chips or lights. It will take some creative tinkering, but I think I can do it if necessary.

I attached a photo of the part I'm looking for (the pic is what mine supposed to look like) !

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  

Last edited by stankyjeans; 08-23-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

www.fordparts.com

Yes it really is as simple as that.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Thanks for your reply...

FordParts is the first place I went! Unfortunately they only list the entire map/dome ASSEMBLY... in other words... remove the entire light, plug in a new light. I'm looking for just the rear HALF of the map/dome light so I can repair mine. So far I've had no luck finding that rear half.

I have an older F150 that had a similar issue with its speedometer cluster. The rear housing where the bulbs are installed simply wore out over time and eventually got brittle and broke. Luckily Ford was able to find the rear half and I was on my way... I didn't have to buy a whole new cluster.
Now maybe that's a common thing with a speedo cluster? I don't know.

Seeing as the rear half of my dome light appears to be used on different styles of dome lights and vehicle models, I am assuming (hoping) it's available for purchase without buying the entire light assembly.

Thanks again,
Old 08-24-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

www.lkq.com
Old 12-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster and done light housing

I have replaced my instrument cluster on my 2006 F150 XLT as well, got it from a local scrap yard for $50. Just today I found my dome light flickering and it was the same problem you have experienced with melting. It seems like a fire hazard and will probably look for LED lights to replace bulbs. I’m guessing it’s another issue Ford knows about but won’t own up to. Porcelain spark plugs that break, rear fender insulation that retains water and rusts away, now melting plastic. If I didn’t love that truck, she’d be in the bone yard crusher.
Originally Posted by stankyjeans
Thanks for your reply...
Originally Posted by stankyjeans

FordParts is the first place I went! Unfortunately they only list the entire map/dome ASSEMBLY... in other words... remove the entire light, plug in a new light. I'm looking for just the rear HALF of the map/dome light so I can repair mine. So far I've had no luck finding that rear half.

I have an older F150 that had a similar issue with its speedometer cluster. The rear housing where the bulbs are installed simply wore out over time and eventually got brittle and broke. Luckily Ford was able to find the rear half and I was on my way... I didn't have to buy a whole new cluster.
Now maybe that's a common thing with a speedo cluster? I don't know.

Seeing as the rear half of my dome light appears to be used on different styles of dome lights and vehicle models, I am assuming (hoping) it's available for purchase without buying the entire light assembly.

Thanks again,

Old 12-03-2018, 04:33 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbs
[center]I have replaced my instrument cluster on my 2006 F150 XLT as well, got it from a local scrap yard for $50. Just today I found my dome light flickering and it was the same problem you have experienced with melting. It seems like a fire hazard and will probably look for LED lights to replace bulbs. I’m guessing it’s another issue Ford knows about but won’t own up to. Porcelain spark plugs that break, rear fender insulation that retains water and rusts away, now melting plastic. If I didn’t love that truck, she’d be in the bone yard crusher.
I forgot about this post!

I ended up putting in LED lights on mine. Been working perfect ever since and no worry of over-heating ever again.
I used the bright-white strip LED's. The kind you see that typically comes in a 15-ft roll. You can cut the lights every 3rd light (if I remember correctly) and connect it straight to 12-volts, so no resistor is required. I don't remember how long each side required, but it wasn't many as the lights are VERY bright. Much brighter than the OEM bulb. I also used zip ties and hot glue to hold the LED's in place.

There are also LED 'chips', but some of them can get quite warm so I decided against them. There are also LED bulbs that you can plug directly into your original sockets, but they were not cheap the last time I looked. I tried some in my camp trailer and they burned out quite fast. Probably a bad batch of bulbs - but either way I was not impressed. These strips lights have not failed me (yet) !

I already had several rolls of these LED strip lights I use around the house and while I'm up camping, so I gave it a try in the truck's dome light and it worked great. I use the waterproof style in my boat for extra lighting and I'm going to install them under by bed rails. I was also thinking about using them in my home to replace the regular light bulbs. All you need is a 12-volt power pack and that can be easily connected to the light bulb socket with an adapter. The LED's use far less energy, much brighter and last longer. And if you're really crafty - you can design your own lighting covers and come up with all sorts of ways to use the LED's.

You can find these LED rolls on Ebay and other places. They come in several colors and either waterproof or not. The waterproof style has what I describe as a bead of clear "rubbery' silicone on top of the strip. You might also want to get the power connectors as it makes it MUCH easier to connect power to the strip and your dome light wiring.

If you are willing to wait, you can get these across the big-pond for next to nothing. I've seen the rolls for less than $5 to your door, but you have to shop around. There are lots of different prices. Only problem I had with the power connectors was the waterproofing had to be peeled back a little so the connector could make contact with the strip. I've always bought the waterproof kind, so I can assume the non-waterproof doesn't have that clear sealer on top.

This place is across the pond, but I've had EXCELLENT service from them and shipping was much faster than I anticipated:

https://www.banggood.com/5M-White-35...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/2-Pins-Powe...r_warehouse=CN

Hope this helps!

Old 01-17-2020, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dome Light Replacement

I don't know how to create a new thread so sorry mods but this should be a STICKY, I just replaced my dome light bulb and not the map lights I used blue LEDS for those but for the dome if you take the plastic cover off good luck getting it back on...LOL!

you have to take the whole assembly out after taking the cover off then replace the bulb and then put the cover on with the assembly out and here is what you have to do to get it back in if you don't have upper arm strength... lay down on your center console and take your 2 legs god gifted you and place your two feet evenly on each side of the dome light and push as hard as you can slowly until you hear them snap in to place and your done...!!! LMAO!

I just did this and I was like I bet I looked funny as hell if my neighbors saw me...LOL!!!!

Last edited by rocxylemmon; 01-17-2020 at 02:22 AM. Reason: make it more explanatory

Quick Reply: Map/dome light nuked!