Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to tint my tail lights....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to tint my tail lights....

i wanted to see if anybody had done it using regular tint or if it was even possible if so how dark do i buy the tint........
Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought about it, but a can of vht nightshades is only 15 bucks, so i figured why not. i had to redo it once, the first time i did it it was real bumpy and looked horrible, i cleaned it off with throttle body cleaner and redid it and the second time it was perfect. so shiny i didnt even need to polish it or anything. and if you want it darker you can just do another coat.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by colton
i thought about it, but a can of vht nightshades is only 15 bucks, so i figured why not. i had to redo it once, the first time i did it it was real bumpy and looked horrible, i cleaned it off with throttle body cleaner and redid it and the second time it was perfect. so shiny i didnt even need to polish it or anything. and if you want it darker you can just do another coat.

did u have to sand the lights or you just sprayed it how they were? do u have any pics?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if theyre used taillights, id recommend sanding them or gettin them pretty smooth somehow before sprayin them. i sprayed my stock ones without sanding them and they looked a little rough. they still looked alright, but then i accidentally busted one out backing into a trash can lol so i bought a brand new pair and tinted them. i didnt prepare them in any way, and they turned out perfect. i dont have any close up but i can take some tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used VHT Nightshades and never sanded the lenses. All I did was clean the hell out of them and make sure they were totally spotless. I then sprayed a very light coat let it dry, then another light coat, let it get tacky then sprayed the final heavier coat to finish it off. I then sprayed gloss clear on it to finish it off.

I know a lot of guys on here and other sites have sanded and wet sanded. I simply don't have the patience for all that. I also feel like I got the same end result. They've been tinted for months and I've seen no problems at all with them.

If you decide to use VHT keep in mind, a little goes a long way. I've seen too many people go too dark with it. Spray a coat, look at it real good then move to the next coat. I have 3 coats on mine.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Bama
I used VHT Nightshades and never sanded the lenses. All I did was clean the hell out of them and make sure they were totally spotless. I then sprayed a very light coat let it dry, then another light coat, let it get tacky then sprayed the final heavier coat to finish it off. I then sprayed gloss clear on it to finish it off.

I know a lot of guys on here and other sites have sanded and wet sanded. I simply don't have the patience for all that. I also feel like I got the same end result. They've been tinted for months and I've seen no problems at all with them.

If you decide to use VHT keep in mind, a little goes a long way. I've seen too many people go too dark with it. Spray a coat, look at it real good then move to the next coat. I have 3 coats on mine.

looks good...i want mine just a little darker...ive been looking at different websites for about a week or two and im 50 50 on tinting or spraying them...on youtube they show people putting tint on them but im not sure what kind of tint they use or if i can use regular window tint...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM

The spray i used is a somewhat of a a semi-flat black. . .I don't know if they're all the same or not. But i put five coats on. Does anyone know if I can but a coat of something over it to give it a full gloss look?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about the stuff you used, but the VHT stuff is glossy. You can also use model car window tint spray. It's actually a little cheaper, but I can never find it. I've used it on my wife's car and a truck I had before my other ones and it works great.

@cesar: If you want them darker just add a few more coats is all. Word to the wise, BE CAREFUL. You'll end up going too dark before you know it. Remember, spray a coat, check the darkness. Then spray additional coats until you get the desired look you want. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic so I wasn't taking any chances of getting plowed into by some yucko that wasn't paying attention. On that note, keep in mind, you can be responsible for someone hitting you due to your tail lights being too dark! I know people who it's happened to. Not to mention the darker they are the more Johnny Law will take notice!

EDIT: I apologize to all the tag edit ***** on here about my tag being edited out. I just refuse to display my tag on the internet, sorry for ruffling your undies! LOL

Last edited by Darth Bama; 10-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
lucky13

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMayhall
The spray i used is a somewhat of a a semi-flat black. . .I don't know if they're all the same or not. But i put five coats on. Does anyone know if I can but a coat of something over it to give it a full gloss look?

when i done mine i used duplicolor acrlyic clear and put a couple coats on over the vht
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 PM

I have tint on my 06 and it is plenty dark. If you paint your lights and get a ticket, it is a huge hassle.

Last edited by lariat5.4triton; 10-18-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: looking to tint my tail lights....