Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for help with BAKFlip MX4

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Looking for help with BAKFlip MX4

Hi,

I think I made a huge mistake in buying a MX4 after reading how it's is the #1 cover. Have had it for three weeks and it was installed by the dealer it's a 5.5 box. Had really bad leaks and problems with it not sitting straight so they told me it had not been installed properly, reinstalled and water tested it saying it all Ok. The problem is it's constantly shifting when opened or after driving so the last panel is crooked and not sealing as I can see into the box through a 3/16" crack. I have to check it all the time then open it and push the cover over to even it up so it seals. It also slides over while driving and the edge of the rubber goes down between the rail then it slides back and is pinching the seal.

The dealer looked at it and said maybe wrong cover and measured the panels then email BAKFlip, three days later they get a response that the size is right. Apparently three days is blazing fast for BAKFlip which makes me think they must have a lot of problems. Now they want me to make trip #4 to the store so they can take photos. They refuse to give me my money back saying they don't want to be stuck with a cover BAKFlip won't warranty. I think the top is defective because I have measured the amount of play in the second panel hinge and it's 11/16". I checked my neighbours G2 and there is zero play in the hinge. The dealer tells me the play is normal.

So here is my question, can somebody with a MX4 tell me how much play they have in the hinges?

I really don't like where this is heading and feel I'm going to be stuck with a crap tonneau.

Thanks,

Sandy

Last edited by SandyMcM; 07-01-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 07-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2018 XLT with the same cover and it has zero to no play in the hinges or operation. I've also had no leaks and we had a few substantial rain storms here. I would go to a truck place that specializes/sells/installs bakflip covers as I bet they can do a better job aligning it. I hope you get a resolve either way.
The following users liked this post:
SandyMcM (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I have zero play in my as well. The only place that could allow for movement is the two bolts at the front that you tighten by hand. Where exactly is the gap you keep getting? The side tracks should be locked in place and then it is really easy to loosen the hand bolts, slide the cover into the correct location, and then tighten it down. If those two bolts are not tightening perhaps you are missing the washers that should be used. Add some to make it tight.
The following users liked this post:
SandyMcM (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your responses that helps. The dealer I bought it from say they sell and install hundreds of these covers and don't think it's right but can't do anything if BAKFlip won't say there is something wrong. The two bolts at the front don't budge all the play is from the second hinge when I'm trying to get it straight, but the mechanics at the dealer say they all have play which I found questionable. They have all the small demo versions in the store they have zero play and of course almost no space between the cover and the rails. Obviously the top is defective like I thought and I will tell them what you have said.

Thanks again,

Sandy
Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SandyMcM
I appreciate your responses that helps. The dealer I bought it from say they sell and install hundreds of these covers and don't think it's right but can't do anything if BAKFlip won't say there is something wrong. The two bolts at the front don't budge all the play is from the second hinge when I'm trying to get it straight, but the mechanics at the dealer say they all have play which I found questionable. They have all the small demo versions in the store they have zero play and of course almost no space between the cover and the rails. Obviously the top is defective like I thought and I will tell them what you have said.

Thanks again,

Sandy
sounds 100% like a faulty cover. I've had a backflip for 4 years and there is no play in the hinged sections still. They are great covers but yours is faulty. Call Bak Industries and ask them to replace.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,059 Likes on 493 Posts

Mine is on its second truck and it’s still tight with no leaks. Sounds like yours is definitely defective.

Quick Reply: Looking for help with BAKFlip MX4