General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first welder

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Looking to buy my first welder

What do you guys suggest? I have 110 w/ 20 amp service and 220 w/ 50 amp service. Mainly looking to weld materials under 5/16". This is for hobby use.

I'm looking at a Miller 211 or a Hobart 210MVP. I'm not opposed to buying used.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely get a 220V unit. I've had a smaller 110V Lincoln and while it worked well, the duty cycle was low and became a pain in the ***. did a straight trade with a guy who had a 220V Lincoln and it hasn't shut down on me yet.

No direct experience with either of the models you mentioned, but I see the Miller 211 recommended a lot.

If you have the budget it wouldn't be bad to get a multiprocess unit that can also stick and TIG
Old 01-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

I've had a 110 mig and currently a 220.

If you've got it and an extension cord will get it to all the places you need: 220 all the way.

110 is pretty much sheet metal and not much more. Well, for a beginner that is. You can do more, but it's not as easy. Beveling, filling, etc. It is far more portable though if you intend to take it to your friends house or even on the other side of your house.

I went with a Lincoln 180. Great little unit. Dials down perfectly for autobody work and has enough punch to handle thicker stuff. For autobody or home stuff I can pretty much ignore the duty cycle on it. I'm not saying you should, I just never bump into it.

I still have my 110, but it sits unused now. There's just nothing it can do that the Lincoln 180 can't....and do it better. The 110 is probably going to get thrown on kijiji (IE: like craigs list) and I'll take whatever I can get for it.

Did you know Hobart is actually Miller which is actually Illinois Tool Works? Hobart is their "home hobbyist" market product. Miller is aimed more at industry.

If you're still open to shopping, I recommend you have a look at the Lincoln. The 180 comes in two variations: a 180 and a 180C.

The 180 will come with various names (like 180HD, Mig pak, etc) and the 180 C is just that. The C is made for commercial markets and the 180 HD is consumer markets. Places like home depot (hense: HD) sell the HD variants.

The only real difference in them is the drive roller box is a plastic type material in the consumer and aluminum in the commercial. It's a place where plastic or aluminum doesn't really make a difference. The commercial also has infinitely variable amperage selection and the consumer has stepped settings. Not a big deal for home use. It actually may make it a bit easier for beginners as the chart gives you amp setting, wire speed, wire gauge and material thickness recommendations that are actually very good. Other than those two differences (oh yeah, also a big plastic top handle instead on the HD instead of plastic end caps and an aluminum bar handle on the C), you get a very good commercial machine for a consumer price. My HD came in around 700 bucks, I priced a C and it was closer to 1500. I went with the 700....

I also went with a Lincoln becasue you can gets parts and service for them just about anywhere. Even the local hardware store sells tips, wire and mig gun shields. Miller is a good quality unit, but they don't have that type of market penetration. At least not on the consumer level. Last thing I want is to be doing something Sunday morning, frig a gun tip up and have to wait until Monday when the local welding supply shop opens up to get another one.

Either way: Lincoln or Miller, hard to go wrong....Hobart not so bad either. All good choices. It's a matter of personal choice.

Last edited by Great white; 01-09-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get bigger than you think you need.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts guys!