General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting S/O drive your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Letting S/O drive your truck?

so I'm sitting here and my truck is out and about. Had me thinking how many of you let your wife or significant other drive your truck? Or anyone for that matter?

i am typically the only one who drives my vehicles. My wife only drove my '14 once about 5 miles down the road and I was with her. Today is the first time I've ever let her take my truck by herself and this one is brand new! I'm a little nervous LOL.

she can drive, I just get nervous that the little things like parking at a store or small attention to detail type things she won't be as mindful about.

i decided to let her take it alone so I wasn't going crazy sitting shotgun pointing stuff out. sounds terrible but that literally was my job for years as I drove commercially and then became an on road supervisor whose job was to tag along and point out poor techniques. I know I'm a terrible back seat driver so for her sake I said take it alone. Also why I typically will offer to drive with friends, etc.

i think she should have a feel for it if god forbid emergency arose and she had to take it. But man am I nervous sitting here knowing my trucks out on the road without me!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good idea to let her go alone if you can't help but offer "advice". DAMHIKT. My wife drives a 2015 Corvette so driving my truck isn't an issue. She didn't like driving my previous Dodge which was a dually.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

My wife unit takes my truck once in a while. I trust her, just not where she parks. She complains to me that she needs a taxi to get to the door from where I park.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't mind my gf driving my truck. I just tell her "don't wreck" like that helps lmao.

However. She hates driving it. It's too big, too much power, too high off the ground, etc. etc.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to be like that too. in fact I still am with my older car, the only person who's driven my Cougar is my mechanic and my 22yo son, with me sitting in the passenger seat. My wife can drive my truck anytime she wants to but prefers that I do all the driving. As I've gotten older I've come to realize that the more you baby something the more apt it is to be dinged by people who just don't care as much as you do. In the end all you can do is take care of it as best you can and ensure your insurance is adequate to cover any accidents.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

My wife doesn't like driving the 150, so I'm lucky there. No one, unless they're a blood relative, will EVER drive ANY of my trucks again, unless I'm with them, or they're a mechanic at my dealership. Been boned royally by letting a dirtbag use the last Superdude, and also the reason I've got an F150 now.
My big truck, I don't always have a choice who drives it, but I always tell them, "If you wreck it, wreck it good"!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

She drives it only when it is absolutely necessary. Dog needs to go to vet or she needs to pick something up that won't fit in her G35 coupe. I send multiple annoying texts asking how my truck is while she has it.

She likes driving it on dark back roads, she says better visibility, but doesn't like dealing with parking it in crowded lots or downtown (parallel or garages).

Last edited by FLXLT; 12-23-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

My wife has her own truck to drive but she's more than welcome to use mine when ever she likes. She likes hers because it's easier to maneuver in the city, literally speaking, " I don't consider her truck a truck", it's a 14 Escape suv, I don't even consider it an suv, it's basically a Focus that looks like Ford morphed half a mini station wagon onto the back of.

She never asks to drive my truck because she thinks it's a "beast" and too much for her to handle.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

My girlfriend hates to drive it. She will take my truck if its really really necessary. I've ridden with her a couple times like when I had to and couldn't drive( Thank God I was medicated). Her car or not I drive. Her driving scares the **** outta me.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Not exactly the intent of the original post, but one weekend I was over at my parent's place and they ordered a pizza for supper. My truck was first out of the driveway so my Dad grabbed my keys and off he went.
I have one of those devices that monitors your driving for insurance, and I usually have 4-5 hard braking events per week. The next time I got my weekly summary I had 11 events. When I checked the details for date/time I found out that 7 of them were when he was out getting the pizza. I guess he brakes at the last minute...
And people wonder why I don't like letting others drive my truck :-)