General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Topper Lights Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LED Topper Lights Installed

After reading several posts on topper lighting and bed lights (awesome resource here!), I went ahead and installed mine. I got a 16 ft strip of the Hitlights on Amazon (about $15) and cut them into sections to fit right above the windows on the window frame.

Others have described how to install and connect these lights, so I won't duplicate that. I wired mine into the tail lights since the power is right in the corner there. Others have wired theirs to an "always hot" point, but I don't imagine I'll need them often enough that my connection won't work for what I need.

I added a 5A fuse (which is apparently plenty) and connected the strips with some 18ga twin wire (probably speaker wire, I dunno - pulled it out of my scrap wire box) and insulated spade crimp connectors.

The strips come with an adhesive backing, which seemed to hold pretty well (I cleaned the mounting surface well). But I did dab the ends with hot glue just to be sure. I also used hot glue to hold the wires in place cuz it's quick, simple, and dries quickly.

Wired the whole works through a $4 lit switch from Autozone and ended up with about $22 in the whole project.

Very happy with the results!
Attached Thumbnails LED Topper Lights Installed-lights-5sm.jpg   LED Topper Lights Installed-lights-6sm.jpg   LED Topper Lights Installed-lights-7sm.jpg   LED Topper Lights Installed-lightssm.jpg   LED Topper Lights Installed-lights-2sm.jpg  

LED Topper Lights Installed-lights-4sm.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

Do you have a link to the LEDs? They look great!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

Pretty cool!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wink

I'm not sure if these are the exact ones, but they are close. Amazon shows a couple alternatives (number of lights, color, etc.)

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

Fine install - looks great!

Quick Reply: LED Topper Lights Installed