General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knowledge

I have a question and a statement to ask forum members. If you have no Knowledge of basic auto tech, mechanics, etc how can you even think of doing your own repairs, tell someone how to fix a problem, or comment on a subject you have only cursory information or or knowledge of. Please when you ask a Question about a problem or want advise, let us know what the heck you are asking about, what size engine, trans, tire size, truck year, ????? Thanks for the Rant!!! But info without asking is alot easier, also anybody want to bitch about it, I'm 60 years old look at my log in and I work on collectable car as a hobby and owner.

Last edited by mgbk1200rs; 07-14-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: it
Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbk1200rs
I have a question and a statement to ask forum members. If you have no Knowledge of basic auto tech, mechanics, etc how can you even think of doing your own repairs, tell someone how to fix a problem, or comment on a subject you have only cursory information or or knowledge of. Please when you ask a Question about a problem or want advise, let us know what the heck you are asking about, what size engine, trans, tire size, truck year, ????? Thanks for the Rant!!! But info without asking is alot easier, also anybody want to bitch about it, I'm 60 years old look at my log in and I work on collectable car as a hobby and owner.

well man, first off... here's what i feel.

if someone has been doing some researching about an issue, then they would have some general knowledge and common sense.if someone was to try and blow smoke up someone's butt, then it would be pretty obvious.

for instance, when was the last time you checked your blinker fluid? well, while that seems pretty stupid to you and me, the truth is... some mercedes have washer jets and wipers on them which is also near the signal lights. hence... blinker fluid.

yeah yea, it sounds pretty stupid. but, if someone told me to check my blinker fluid on my truck, then it's pretty clear that if it's not the wiper fluid, they're blowing it up where the sun doesn't shine.

but if someone told me, that the torque on my automatic tranny drain plug was 90ftlbs, i'd say... show me a pic of what you're talking about because... my transmission is a sealed unit. there isn't even a dipstick about it.

so, i'm guessing you asked for help, but you question the source of the information. that's ok. in times like that, i'm someone who would ask many people, and take the general concensus... then i'd go ask my dealership, just so i don't look like a fool and not knowing anything about the issue.

i may only be 33, which is half your age... and i know you've got plenty of wisdom for many people regarding anything, life or trucks.

anyways, just my opinion... and i own a original 1967 impala, 327 4bbl, 2 speed powerglyde 350, 3:73 posi-traction and i've still got the original paint, floor mats, hubcaps, and door locks... oh... and i've still got the dealership sticker on it, never rebuilt yet either.

i got that as a 16th bday gift, but didn't get the papers in hand until my 19th....

tyler
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default me

I agree with 1/2 to most of what you said, I'm ranting about the truly stupid, blank questions you and I can answer and the other ones we may not able to answer and know enough not to try to answer or comment on. I also had an early ss Impala (65) conv. we sold when we were just married, we regret it even today 38 years. Had a lot of great cars & trucks & bikes & still have others. BMW K1200rs, 2 mgb, f150, 2 subies, etc. And it's good to see somebody with a colder weather than Maine!

Last edited by mgbk1200rs; 07-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

.. my transmission is a sealed unit. there isn't even a dipstick about it.
Really? Are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure, LOL. Because maybe it is sealed, but maybe not.

My truck does not have a visible transmission dipstick, but...
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by All Hat No Cattle
Really? Are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure, LOL. Because maybe it is sealed, but maybe not.

My truck does not have a visible transmission dipstick, but...

see OP....

i knew that if i said something way off the rocker which seems probable to the average rookie, someone with zero experience wouldn't give it any thought.

thanks for the help there cattle....
Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by mgbk1200rs
I agree with 1/2 to most of what you said, I'm ranting about the truly stupid, blank questions you and I can answer and the other ones we may not able to answer and know enough not to try to answer or comment on. I also had an early ss Impala (65) conv. we sold when we were just married, we regret it even today 38 years. Had a lot of great cars & trucks & bikes & still have others. BMW K1200rs, 2 mgb, f150, 2 subies, etc. And it's good to see somebody with a colder weather than Maine!
Yea, i get it. Stuff like... Hey, How do i check the oil in my truck?

As for that dipstick example...

I said it knowing that someone would do exactly what you said.

On the up side of things, "cattle" showed inexperienced people where it is. So, while acting dumb, i "kinda suckered" someone into answering a wlquestion i already know.

But... Shared wisdom is great. Lol

Quick Reply: Knowledge