General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk Yard 4r70w

Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
New to Fords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Junk Yard 4r70w

I just got my trans from a local junk yard and bought the fluids, filters and seals to put it in the truck, I have a few questions for the folks with more experiance.

1. Should I use the tourque converter that came with the junky trans or the one from my truck?

2. What type of socket to use on the drive shaft to rear bolts?

3. Should I flush the new trans or just drain it normaly?

I love this message board and thanks to all for my previous questions.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 PM

you wanna hook me up with one
Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

eh, might check on what a new torque converter runs. Tranny jobs are the kind one only wants to do once. What was the problem with your current tranny?

As far as your questions - I must 'fess up and admit that I've never done a tranny job before - but
1) see above
2) no idea
3) have heard bad things about tranny flushes, so suggest to just drain, refill, and cross your fingers that you got a good tranny.

Actually, just had a tranny overhauled by the shop. The majority of the charges were labor - so may want to consider dropping in an overhaul kit while you've got everything apart. Don't know about the magnitude of difficulty, though. Always been leery of auto trannies - sort of a black voodoo science to me.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 PM

if you know nothing about working on a transmission,i would take it to a transmission shop.since you already have it out that will be that much less in labour costs.let them work on it and you reinstall it.unless you are not to sure about that to.while youre at it check youre u joints and change if needed.since you will have the driveshaft off.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,

As for the "new" tranny fluid, check to see if it is in good condition. That is, is it red, or brown? If it looks good, then I suggest a drain and refill, if it is brown(or worse) then I would suggest a flush and fill.

As for your other questions, I am not sure what socket to use and I cannot speak with any authority as to whether you should re-use your torque converter or just use the one on the "new" tranny.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

for the driveshaft bolts, use the 14pt box wrench. About that convertor, get a new one, they are not that expensive from Ford and yo need to return the old one. I would not flush it, but drain it throughly and clean the pan and magnet. Also, put in a drain plug on the deep sump dimple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Junk Yard 4r70w