General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerking when going into D and door panel rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jerking when going into D and door panel rattle

On my '03 XLT Supercab with 4.6 I have experienced a sporadic problem. I put it in D and push on the gas pedal but there is a split second when nothing happens and then the truck will jump forward and operate like normal. Since it does it infrequently I am not used to letting it sit for a couple seconds then driving off. Truck has 190K on it, trans was flushed at about 100K, fluid level is in the middle of the marks and fluid smells and looks OK.

Next problem is figuring out how RR door panel comes off. I am afraid to pull too hard and break some plastic tabs or whatever is securing it.

Reason for all this is the RR door refused to open one day. Took it to dealer and they quoted $300+ to replace the inner latch assy. I said I could go without the door. Then months later, before I could say the door does not work, a passenger opened the door just like normal. It has worked ever since. But ever since the dealer worked on it the door panel buzzes and rattles. I was able to get all the greasy fingerprints off the panel, now I'd like to get rid of the noise.
thanks,
Will
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 AM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? How's it doing when it shifts between gears?

Check the whole thing for screws. Door panels are held on by screws and clips. Should pop right off. Do keep in mind that they're A LOT easier to work with when it's warm out. Things don't play nice in the cold, and plastic likes to break more.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your lurch problem is the transmission/torque converter. You have a lot of miles on there, so the transmission may just need a rebuild. If you pull it out of the truck yourself and bring it to a shop, the cost might not be too bad. I am a manual trans guy, so I am not experienced in auto trans rebuilds or issues. I just know if its not working properly, and the fluid levels are correct, than its probably a bad or worn part inside. Also just for the heck of it, check all your linkages. There is usually a linkage that goes to the transmission from the throttle cable. Just make sure its in place and looks hooked up right.

Your door rattle is either caused by a missing screw like safetypin says, or one of the little plastic snaps that holds the panel in was broken by the dealer (One or two usually always breaks when you pop the door apart). I would suggest taking the entire panel off, replacing all the broken plastic snaps, and then pop it back into place. You can get a box of these snaps for cheap at an auto parts store.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good suggestions. thank you.

Quick Reply: Jerking when going into D and door panel rattle