Sponsored by:

installing mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Exclamation installing mud flaps

So I have a predicament.

I forgot to get mudflaps installed before I rolled off the lot. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but in Alberta it's actually law to have them. Do I need the bracket, or can I just drill holes into the lip on the fender, because I have some of those generic black rubber p.o.s.'s lying around from my Sierra.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
USN Retired 1992-2012

Received 243 Likes on 122 Posts

Get Weathertech mud flaps IMHO.

Richard
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeriko
So I have a predicament.

I forgot to get mudflaps installed before I rolled off the lot. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but in Alberta it's actually law to have them. Do I need the bracket, or can I just drill holes into the lip on the fender, because I have some of those generic black rubber p.o.s.'s lying around from my Sierra.
Maybe go back to the dealer and see what type of deal you could swing. That's what I did when I purchased my truck and I don't believe I even paid for them.

If you do install them yourself, you certainly should install the bracket. Alberta winters cause some pretty huge slush puppies to build up on the mud flaps and you will want that extra strength.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do have to drill, don't forget to Paint the Holes you drilled. Be sure to use Stainless Steel Hardware and Silicone on the threads when you install the Mud Flaps. These simple efforts will aid in preventing Rust from forming after you break threw the Original Paint. Actually you should do this anywhere/anytime you break threw the paint.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I am not so sure that it is law in Alberta for pickup trucks to have mudflaps, 1000's of 'em around with out flaps. If that is the case go back to the dealer and squeel that they sold you a truck that as it is - is illegal to drive in the condition they sold it to you in. That being said - I bought my flaps from a Ford store - they came with a galvanized sheet metal bracket to help support the flap across the top of the flap. Also came with stainless steel screws to screw into the fender lip. Go any Ford store or off road shop in town and see what they have.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 AM

These are the flaps I put on my truck. Look good hold up great.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Official Bass Slapper

It's technically not the dealership's responsibility that you have everything you need once you roll off the lot. They just sell the buggers NEARLY complete, and I've seen this poster in a lot of dealerships, and when prompted by the customer, the salesperson will always cough up that they're required in Alberta, but never installed by factory because it's not federally required.

http://www.imakenews.com/mdaalbertaf...t0PFS,bnfF1mk4

I also know that RCMP will ticket you on it if you've gone mudding recently and are flinging crap at them on the highway... Found that out in my Sierra, and proceeded to complain to dealership why they didn't install immediate when they showed up on the sales floor. Went on to say I should have asked for them before I drove off with the truck.

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Official Bass Slapper

And thanks for the replies guys. I will get to installing when I'm at work Monday so I can use a lift.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 AM

I stand to be corrected. Maybe that's why when I bought my truck and asked for flaps he didn't blink and said sure. How ever didn't like the ones he through in on the deal and ended up buying them anyway.

Quick Reply: installing mud flaps