Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I broke my 4wd... Help please??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I think I broke my 4wd... Help please??

Ok so I just a 6" pro comp stage 2 lift on my truck last week(so I no longer have warranty) and decided to test it out with some buddies. Climbing up a small sand hill I had to swap into 4wd to make it. As we got up to the top we heard a loud clunk sound, I thought it was just my skid plates hitting a rock or something only to find out that my 4wd was no longer working. If I put the truck in to 4hi or 4lo I can hear it engaging and if I try and turn the front drive shaft it only wiggles very slightly side to side(which is normal I'm sure?) and in 2wd if I turn the front drive shaft I can watch both of my c.v. axles turning at what looks like the same time and speed. I'm going to be doing a r&p swap to compensate for the bigger tires as soon as I can so I dont care if my current r&p is stripped. And swapping a c.v. axle, me and my buddy can do but if its the transfercase the shot then its probably going to cost me a lot to have it fixed. Any one have a problem like this or have any logical guesses at what could be wrong? I'm pretty sure one of my hub vacuum lines has just come off but I haven't had time to check just yet.

Last edited by Randy_270; 05-11-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: I think I figured out the problem
Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both of my hub actuators were broken when I bought my truck. $90 each. After I fixed it I went out in some dirt and decided to engage the 4x4 to test it and gunned it. They weren't engaged just yet and popped really loud. Thankfully they weren't damaged. I'm guessing it might be those that's broke on yours.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 AM
LDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blew actuators too, while 4x4'ing. They're plastic and blow really easily. Like the guy before me mentioned their about $90 a piece. But if you should both your axels are turning when engaged in 4x4, that might not be it. For some reason I thought when my actuator was busted my axels didn't turn. But get it checked out nonetheless, it's an easy problem to fix and it's very common since the part itself is ****.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks guys I'll check for that too. Kind of a bad time for something to go wrong cause I just finished planning a 4wd adventure with a group of friends for the first time, and now I'm going to be riding along in my friends chevy
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 AM

If your actuator is broken and is still in gauged you'll be able to tell because it will suck down your gas like o tomorrow and that's how you kno it would be them they are ran by vacuum they have vacuum to keep them compressed when you put it into 4wd it releases the vacuum and a little gear slides into place to lock it into 4wd it's spring loaded but after a lot of use they tend to break easily both of mine broke on me make sure it's a good seal around the actuators on the hub if that is your problem

Quick Reply: I think I broke my 4wd... Help please??