General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many trade every three or 5 yrs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default How many trade every three or 5 yrs

I live in the snowbelt in Upstate NY where they LOVE salting the roads...it takes its toll..im getting to the point at 60yrs old where im thinking just trade in every three or 5 yrs when the warranty is up...or buy a 3 yr old and run it a couple years and trade on another 3 yr old....
Old 01-30-2019, 06:43 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
I live in the snowbelt in Upstate NY where they LOVE salting the roads...it takes its toll..im getting to the point at 60yrs old where im thinking just trade in every three or 5 yrs when the warranty is up...or buy a 3 yr old and run it a couple years and trade on another 3 yr old....
Same situation - and at the same age.

I bought what I deemed my "retirement truck" early - bought an '09 FX4 w/luxury package with all the goodies. Bought it while I was still working so I would have it paid off when I retired. I loved that truck and had in my mind to keep it forever.

Fast forward to last spring when I was doing my spring detail - I found the rear cab corners starting to bubble from the inside (rust). I was heartbroken! Being fed up with rust issues - I had a lot of rust related out-of-warranty repairs on that truck - I started passively looking at a replacement. Now being retired (early) I just couldn't swing the payment for an equal replacement which would be a Lariat. But got lucky and spotted a 3 year old Lariat off-lease at my dealership which was almost an exact clone of my FX4. Took me 2 weeks to make the decision to make the upgrade.

If it were not for rust issues I would have kept my FX4 forever.

So now I have changed my attitude. I just can't keep any truck forever because of the 5 months of winter and the garbage they put on the roads here. But.....I bought an aluminum body truck this time. But I know everything underneath will rust just like my old one.

So...I have changed my attitude and my thinking - I just can't keep these trucks forever or even maybe 10 years. So my plan going forward it to upgrade every 5 years or so. In around 2022/2023 I am going to look for another 3 year old off-lease Lariat again.

My other thoughts are to just start leasing a new truck every 3 years. I only average 5500 miles a year now. Also I just don't have the tolerance to have a vehicle that is out of warranty now. I did buy an extended warranty for my '15 Lariat which made me feel better for the time being. It all depends on the budget when it comes time to upgrade again if I will buy another used or go with a new lease.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Yea I hear ya, I have the money as we are in a great position and have and had no kids so ...
but I still do all my own maintenance and repair...I’m thinking if I kept them newer I wouldn’t have to do repairs ... keep inside the 5/60 powertrain warranty
my current 13 Lariat I am lucky to not have to use in winter because I have a “ rat”
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM

I will say this however - as much as I didn’t want to upgrade, the jump from ‘09 to a ‘15 was huge. The technology and amenities are so different.

On my ‘09 - one of my biggest gripes were that the dash lights would not come on even with the headlights - they were controlled by the daylight sensor. Now with the ‘15 with the 9” productivity dash/screen - oh what a difference!

So that makes me think that upgrading every so often may not be a bad idea just to get the newer stuff.

Another huge thing for me was going from the old hydraulic power steering to the electronic. I have a nasty case of Rheamtoid Arthritis - my elbows and shoulders would actually hurt after driving my old truck - no any more.

Back on topic a bit - if/when I buy a new truck I plan on keeping it for 10 years. The main reason is to help absorb that first few years of terrible depreciation. When spread over 10 years it helps. To buy new every 3 years is a very non-frugal move in my opinion loosing so much money due to depreciation.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM

I was thinking buy every three years but buy a 3 yr old truck, still under the 5/60 warranty, already taken the depreciation hit...I know a guy that buys Enterprise vechiles and has had GREAT luck !
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Van
I was thinking buy every three years but buy a 3 yr old truck, still under the 5/60 warranty, already taken the depreciation hit...I know a guy that buys Enterprise vechiles and has had GREAT luck !
that is my current theory with the ‘15 I purchase this past June. It was originally leased at this dealership and all service was done there so I have complete records. It’s been fantastic so far - just like new to me and $20k less than new.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I keep my trucks for about 10 years. And I buy them when they're around 2 years old, so they're pushing 12 years by the time I sell them, never trade.

Maybe that'll change when I'm 60, but I'm 36 with 4 little ones, a mortgage, and a dream to retire in my late 50's.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
I keep my trucks for about 10 years. And I buy them when they're around 2 years old, so they're pushing 12 years by the time I sell them, never trade.

Maybe that'll change when I'm 60, but I'm 36 with 4 little ones, a mortgage, and a dream to retire in my late 50's.
keep that dream alive! I did the same - a lot of times I thought I would never make it. But I did! Had to make plenty of compromises along the way - like you are with your trucks - and also had to change a few things when I retired - but all well worth it.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by bassJAM

im still thinking trade sooner, get more trade in or outright sale cash???
Old 01-30-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

can I ask you guys, do you go under the car every couple of weeks/months and hose it down? or what DO you do for the salt?

I was at my inlaws in Rochester NY a few weeks ago, and the salt effect on my truck was horrific (the black truck had turned completely white). I took a hose to it within the week's end.

Quick Reply: How many trade every three or 5 yrs