Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Default How to adjust emergency brake

Hey guys, attempting to change my rotors and the old ones appear to be stuck in a valley created by running the truck with the emergency brake on (long story, has to do with previous owner and dealership neglect). How do I adjust the emergency brake? I was told by my uncle the adjustment is typically upstream of the rear axle but I'm not finding anything. Could it be back behind the ebrake pedal?

Thanks (PS the quicker the better, my truck is sitting on stands and i kinda need it lol)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Should be a star adjuster behind the brake rotor, little plastic cap which can be removed, and then a star adjuster to back off the adjuster.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
Should be a star adjuster behind the brake rotor, little plastic cap which can be removed, and then a star adjuster to back off the adjuster.

This is exactly correct. It's just like adjusting drum brakes. The plastic/rubber plug is located on the brake backing plate, and you can use either a brake spoon or a flat blade screwdriver to turn the star wheel.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

You guys were right, thank you!

Didn't help break it loose (was hoping to release the brake further to allow the rotor to slip off, but ended up gettin it done)

New brakes are on now, putting the last tire on and then running through the breakin process. I'm super stoked!