General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway manners 5.0 vs Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Highway manners 5.0 vs Ecoboost

Hello, i currently have a 2013 f150 xlt 5.0 4x4. Im getting a newer truck in a few months, and i really like the 2013-2014 FX4's. My dilema is whether i want to try my hand at the Ecoboost. I love the 5.0, but sometimes in the freeway is just seems....lathargic. It gets up and goes, and rides fine and i love it, but will the Ecoboosts supierior torque make it feel less lathargic on the freeway? Those that have had both! Please chime in!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:37 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Its more about torque convert lock up rates, shift schedules and the tune. The factory tune on both the 5.0 and Eco are "lethargic" in my opinion. Only way to fix it to my likes is a custom tune.

That being said, the Eco does have a slight advantage with its low end torque. It will depend on the gears too. I have 3.73's, so at 70mph I'm right around 2k rpms where the turbos will spool easily pushing me along. If I'm at 60mph the truck is around 1400 rpms in 6th gear and it will take a little extra pedal to either force it to downshift or let the turbos wind up.

If you went with say 3.55 gears, the issue would be a little more pronounced because at the sames speeds I posted above, you'd be lower in RPM's, and need to get some revs up to move more quickly. But that would hurt MPG. I like my 3.73's, I think they are a great match for this truck especially when I tow.

With my custom tune, all of that is fixed. It shifts when I want, the converter lock up helps a lot, throttle response is greatly improved.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Ive got 3.73's as well. Id live to tune, i just dont wanna throw warranty out the window:/
Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

You will only notice the torque of the ecoboost on the low-end. Go test drive one on the highway and see if you like it or not. Don't ask, go see for yourself.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by StangMan04
You will only notice the torque of the ecoboost on the low-end. Go test drive one on the highway and see if you like it or not. Don't ask, go see for yourself.
I fully intend on test driving one, but the whole point if a FORUM is to get the opinion of others and or share your experiences, so if thats a problem for you, i suggest you delete your account. Negative input isnt welcome. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Some guy

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechman
I fully intend on test driving one, but the whole point if a FORUM is to get the opinion of others and or share your experiences, so if thats a problem for you, i suggest you delete your account. Negative input isnt welcome. Thanks.
It's been a few days since we've seen a "the whole point of a FORUM is..." comment.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechman
I gave you my opinion, if you would use the search function you are see that the Ecoboost has more low-end torque but falls off in the top end. The 5.0 is the opposite, no low end torque and more torque in the top end. This is why the ecoboost is better for towing, due to the low end torque.

If you don't know how to use the search function in a FORUM, then I feel bad for you son. There are countless threads about 5.0 vs Ecoboost.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by StangMan04
I gave you my opinion, if you would use the search function you are see that the Ecoboost has more low-end torque but falls off in the top end. The 5.0 is the opposite, no low end torque and more torque in the top end. This is why the ecoboost is better for towing, due to the low end torque.

If you don't know how to use the search function in a FORUM, then I feel bad for you son. There are countless threads about 5.0 vs Ecoboost.
Again, Im not retarded. I definitely understand forced induction. Im a mechanical engineer with a specilization in turbomachinery. Im not asking for specifics and concepts. On paper i know them forwards and back. Im asking for EXPERIENCES, which is something numbers cant give. Ive read countless threads, im trying to get more people's experiences, so again, if youve got something negative to contribute, dont contribute at all please. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 885 Likes on 673 Posts

Getting a tune does not "throw the warranty out the window." Sure, it is not impossible for it to lead to a denial of covered service, but those situations so rare. And that could also apply to just about anything you do to your truck depending on what the issue is. I would challenge you to find even just a handful of those in the forum here that have claimed a tune lead to an expensive repair and Ford specifically denied paying for it.

If it makes you that nervous, you can get a warranty from 5star.

http://5startuning.com/5-star-warranty-tunes/

While some have purchased it, I am not aware of anyone that has had to use it and shared that experience here. Great moneymaker for 5star really. I am not one to just dive into such a product with no history or feedback, so I didn't buy it.

Last edited by SteveLord; 03-14-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 AM

How so? I was under the impression that any kind of edit in the PCM is logged, and voids the warranty.

Quick Reply: Highway manners 5.0 vs Ecoboost