General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Surge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed Surge?

Hi, I have a 2021 Lariat 3.5EB PowerBoost. Recently on a long-haul at 80MPH, with cruise on, in 10th gear, I noticed that whenever the boost increases the engine rev's seem to surge briefly (2000rpm to 2400rpm) for just a fraction of a second. Seems like the transmission wants to gear down but then quickly changes it's mind. I might describe the transmission as being "reactive" or "volatile"? Perhaps all of this is normal but I just don't know. Depending on the size of the uphill, it can be more aggressive going up to 2800rpm and slight slap in my seat, but it's always quick and only lasts a fraction of a second. If I cruise at a lower speed, say 65MPH, I don't notice it as the boost isn't really working hard and load isn't high. Check out the attached video in icloud link. Has anyone experienced something like this?
share.icloud.com

Last edited by VictorBeda; 04-29-2024 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Video didn't appear
Old 05-01-2024, 08:14 AM
Big truck Driver

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBeda
Hi, I have a 2021 Lariat 3.5EB PowerBoost. Recently on a long-haul at 80MPH, with cruise on, in 10th gear, I noticed that whenever the boost increases the engine rev's seem to surge briefly (2000rpm to 2400rpm) for just a fraction of a second. Seems like the transmission wants to gear down but then quickly changes it's mind. I might describe the transmission as being "reactive" or "volatile"? Perhaps all of this is normal but I just don't know. Depending on the size of the uphill, it can be more aggressive going up to 2800rpm and slight slap in my seat, but it's always quick and only lasts a fraction of a second. If I cruise at a lower speed, say 65MPH, I don't notice it as the boost isn't really working hard and load isn't high. Check out the attached video in icloud link. Has anyone experienced something like this?
share.icloud.com
Looks like a digital display error more than a mechanical issue
Old 05-01-2024, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can feel the engine rev-up. On bigger hills with greater slope, a greater response from the turbo occurs resulting in a greater increase in rev's, sometimes with a slight thump.

Quick Reply: High Speed Surge?