Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me protect my bumper from rusting!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Help me protect my bumper from rusting!

Hey all,
I am trading in for a '19 Platinum tomorrow and I can't wait. I'm lining up a couple of aftermarket things I need like a cap, tint, and Rhino Liner. But I am wondering about some kind of a clear protector for the front bumper. After owning my '12 FX4, I SWORE I would not buy another truck without a chrome bumper. But here I am, in Michigan, buying another color keyed bumper that is going to get dinged and knicked and then rust out. So I thought I would try to get some type of a clear film to protect it. I see some kits that seem to protect the entire truck like the fenders, hood, and all. But I am just worried about the actual bumper, since that's the only place I've had issues. What do you all recommend? 3M? Where do you get it and what did you pay? Can I buy ONLY the bumper, or do I have to get the "bubblewrap your entire truck" package?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Huh - I had my '09 FX4 for 9 years and said the same thing. The front bumber was a mess after the first year. Every spring would be taking touch up paint to it but some chips were so deep you could still see them. After 9 years it looked terrible.

I went with a chrome bumper this time. I really don't like the look compared to the painted bumper but hope it will hold up better.

There is a detail shop near me - when I first bought the '09 I went right there and got my Bed Rug Pro and Truxedo Lo Pro. I also wanted them to install the 3M bra stuff to the front end but they were out of it for some reason. Forgot about it then until it was too late.

This is the stuff you want -

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/post-fac...-an-installer/
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Bumpers suck to put clear film on. Working on auto body we work closely with companies that put them on. A dealer I used to work with applied something called armor coat. Sprayable chip resistant coating. Looks like clear coat. I used it on my 2010 when I had to respray it. Works amazing. I will do it to my 18 eventually but I don't have any real chips in my bumper yet. I only have 16k miles so far.

Look it up armorcoatusa.com
Old 04-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

"Help me protect my bumper from rusting"

Move south.

You're welcome.
The following users liked this post:
seventyeight (04-13-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

A bumper is just what it sounds like. People need to stop being so **** retentive. Keep the body in the best shape you can but don't stress out over small things like bumpers. Chances are no matter what you do the bumpers are gonna take some abuse. Spending a small fortune protecting your bumpers year after year is a waste of money Imo. Spray the inside with some some fluid film,(pretty cheap) to prevent)slow it down from rusting. If you keep the vehicle long enough you can always replace them with better looking after market bumpers.

Quick Reply: Help me protect my bumper from rusting!