General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Wire

Hey guys i bought a 2011 F-150 back in october, now i am looking to hard wire in an additional 12v outlet, lights in my tool box and a streamlight flashlight charger. I believe a 12v outlet draws no more 10 amps and the flashlight charger and tool box lights draw less than an amp a piece. I took a look at it last night and it looks like its going to be a little more complicated than it was in my 1996 F-150. I would like to avoid running a new line from the battery but will if necessary. I appreciate any advice.
thanks -Addison
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're definitely going to want to run a dedicated power and ground.

Need a little more info though before I can completely help, what do you want turning these on and off?

12V Outlet - Do you want this on all the time or only when the car is on?
Flashlight charger - Do you want this on all the time, only when the car is on, or at the flip of a switch?
Toolbox Lights - Do you want this on a switch?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by aholzmeyer
Hey guys i bought a 2011 F-150 back in october, now i am looking to hard wire in an additional 12v outlet, lights in my tool box and a streamlight flashlight charger. I believe a 12v outlet draws no more 10 amps and the flashlight charger and tool box lights draw less than an amp a piece. I took a look at it last night and it looks like its going to be a little more complicated than it was in my 1996 F-150. I would like to avoid running a new line from the battery but will if necessary. I appreciate any advice.
thanks -Addison
The easy way is to run a wire from the tool box down beetween the cab and box and tie it into the power wire that that goes to the trailer plug if you dont have a trailer plug the harness should still be running along the left frame rail. also the fuse and relay for tt power must be instaled in the fuse box. This will give you a 30 amp ignition on fused power source

Quick Reply: Hard Wire