General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise/grease leaking behind hub or 4x4 actuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grinding noise/grease leaking behind hub or 4x4 actuator

I have a 2012 Ford F-150 fx4 and I put a leveling kit on it. Since then I’ve had several problems but recently I noticed the grinding noise that upon reading has lead me to believe it has something to do with vacuum pressure in the four wheel drive system. But the noise isn’t constant. Sometimes it will do it and go away in its own. Other times I can put it in four wheel drive and put it back in two wheel drive and stops it. Also sometimes I have 4wd and other times I don’t. Also I noticed that there was a small amount of grease leaking out behind the hub and or actuator where the cv axle goes in. I’m kind of at a loss on what all could be wrong considering I just replaced that hub assembly but I’m more worried about the vacuum pressure and 4x4. I’m kind of at a loss on what said problem or problems are but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:47 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafe150
I have a 2012 Ford F-150 fx4 and I put a leveling kit on it. Since then I’ve had several problems but recently I noticed the grinding noise that upon reading has lead me to believe it has something to do with vacuum pressure in the four wheel drive system. But the noise isn’t constant. Sometimes it will do it and go away in its own. Other times I can put it in four wheel drive and put it back in two wheel drive and stops it. Also sometimes I have 4wd and other times I don’t. Also I noticed that there was a small amount of grease leaking out behind the hub and or actuator where the cv axle goes in. I’m kind of at a loss on what all could be wrong considering I just replaced that hub assembly but I’m more worried about the vacuum pressure and 4x4. I’m kind of at a loss on what said problem or problems are but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Grease leaking out tells me you've got a bad seal. The hub is mounted on the outside of the steering knuckle, the IWE, or actuator, is on the inside of knuckle, and the CV shaft is inserted there. Who put the new actuator in? Sounds like it may not have been installed correctly, and when spindle nut was torqued, it cracked the IWE, that can and does cause vacuum problems. Let's get our nomenclature correct, have both the hub and IWE been replaced? Not trying to be an ***, just trying to help. Vacuum is not pressure in the common sense.
It's pretty common when replacing the IWE, that it gets damaged when the teeth aren't lined up correctly.
Here's a very good video that shows replacing an IWE on a F150, pay no attention to the year, yours will be the same.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:09 PM

Yeah sorry I worded that like an idiot haha. The actuator has not been replaced only the hub assembly. I have a picture of where it’s coming out to help clear it up.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:15 PM

And I replaced the hub assembly. So it’s very possible I messed up aligning the teeth.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Village Sociopath

Good photo, that helps. Ya, think if it was me, I'd pull that IWE and get a good look. Cost has gone up on them recently, like most parts it seems, but I suggest you have a new one there if/when you pull the olde one. Did you install the hub? The teeth have to be aligned whether you do the hub or the IWE.
If you have one of those small handheld vacuum pumps like Harbor Freight sells, you could pull a vacuum at the IWE and see if it holds, I'll try to attach a TSB from Ford that shows the techs what to do.
Intermittent Grinding Noise From IWE ***TSB 18-2273*** - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 03-02-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:35 PM
Village Sociopath

And I replaced the hub assembly. So it’s very possible I messed up aligning the teeth.
We must have been typing at the same time. Ya, it's not hard to line them up, but very important, you're not the first.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnday in BFE
We must have been typing at the same time. Ya, it's not hard to line them up, but very important, you're not the first.
ive pulled it off several times and gotten it right I can’t believe the last time I did it I messed it up but I must’ve have
Old 03-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Yes I did install the hub. I’ll pull the iwe and look at it but I suppose that would be the reasoning for the occasional grinding and 4wd not always engaging. I’m getting a vacuum pump tonight to check everything. Thank you so much for the help!
Old 03-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Village Sociopath

Yes I did install the hub. I’ll pull the iwe and look at it but I suppose that would be the reasoning for the occasional grinding and 4wd not always engaging. I’m getting a vacuum pump tonight to check everything. Thank you so much for the help!
Cool, ya, I'm thinking it's busted causing the trouble.
No problem with the help, please get back on and let us know what you find/do.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise/grease leaking behind hub or 4x4 actuator