General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotts mod with Leaves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Gotts mod with Leaves?

What's up hays? Been thinking about the Gotts mod. It seems very popular. I've been thinking about doing it, so of course been watching all sorts of videos and what not.

I came across this video, and it made me wonder. You guys seen anything like this?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I've never seen that before. Kinda weird how just by changing intake tube sizing that individuals truck acts like a vacuum in regards to leaves. kinda makes me want to check how sealed off the inlet is for the intake tube as far as general debris.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird and kinda hard to believe!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

It may be just me but something is not right about this video.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 06F1
Hmm, I've never seen that before. Kinda weird how just by changing intake tube sizing that individuals truck acts like a vacuum in regards to leaves. kinda makes me want to check how sealed off the inlet is for the intake tube as far as general debris.
well from the looks of it if a mouse or rat can get up in there im willing to bet it was a mouse nesting in there i have seen that on a few cars who have an opening big enough for a mouse to fit in even found a dead mouse in an air box
Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much leaves do ya think the stock intake would of sucked in? No way do I believe this video, unless a mouse lived there. My 08 has had the Gotts mod in it for over a yr. Wonder what his air filter looked like. How often does he drive that truck? Does he always park it in the same place? The whole thing seems weird to me.

just my .02
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the video closely.
I believe that this person did not replace the removed end piece with PVC or ABS tube completing the Gotts mod but rather he just removed the end piece leaving a large rectangular hole.

The Gotts mod would have continued the intake all the way into the fender where leaves and debris would have little chance of getting in and finding their way into the intake.

He didn't do this from what I see

Even with this arrangement I find it hard to believe that many leaves would make it into the airbox even with an open end.

Did I see grass clippings in there as well?

Hmmm
Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I pull the tube from the fender every time I do maintenance on my truck and I remove quite a bit of leaves from the fender that dont make it to the air box but do block the the tube a little bit.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:35 AM
zap

Never had any issue with mine on my 02. My main concern isn't leaves though, its this...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM

DANG, Zap!!!

How much damage does that cause?

Haha mentioned that leaves do get in there a bit.
I'm curious if the air intake-fender arrangement is a bit different in certain years.

I pulled the end piece (snorkel) 2 days ago and found leaves in the fender area.
(I immediately thought back to the OP's video.)

When I looked closer the leaves were in a narrow part of the fender where the side of the snorkel is. The fender has double holes with a few inches in between. The very end of it was all the way through where there wasn't any leaves.

our story continues...

Quick Reply: Gotts mod with Leaves?