General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage/Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage/Lift Questions

What's up everybody? I'm new to the forum and look forward to receiving some help from all you guys. I apologize in advance if this topic has been brought up already and I'm beating a dead horse, but I am trying to get an answer ASAP to this issue so I can get to work!

I just traded in my 2012 Ford Raptor for a 2015 F150 Lariat with an Fx4 package on it. I loved the size of my Raptor, but figured it was time to get something new.

I am looking to get a lift kit put on my truck (BDS 6" lift), KMC XXD Heist wheels (20x10) and Toyo Open Country M/T tires (35 x 12.50 x 20). Problem with this is, I don't know if this is going to fit in my garage. I don't remember exactly with my Raptor how much clearance I had up top, but I know it wasn't necessarily something I was too concerned about then. Now, I don't know if this is going to fit. It isn't do or die, I know I can get a 4" lift also, but would prefer the 6. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I tried measuring out the garage and it's only about 82" tall...in other words, I don't feel too confident about the 6.

Anyone have any help? Thanks fellas (and Ladies)
Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

There is no exact science to this ... best you can do is get pretty close w/ pre-work measurements.

You say your garage opening is 82" clear, right? Measure that in a few different spots to make sure there are no low spots or dips that make it closer to 81" ... point being, make sure you know the least-clear dimension.

Now, go measure your trucks CURRENT high point. Take that, add 4" to it (because you're really only lifting the rear 4", and then lifting the front 6" so that it's level when you're done). Now, measure your stock wheel/tire overall height. It SHOULD be about 32" ... you're going to 35" tires ... so assume that you are going to gain about 1.5" in "lift" from the change in tire size (3" total change, 1.5" per sidewall).

So, you're really lifting your truck up about 5.5 to 6" TOTAL inches when done.

So if your truck was/is only 74" tall to start with, and you add 6" to it, that would be 80" ... which means you'd BARELY clear your way into the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wiggum:
130428 (10-30-2015), AlexMeyer17 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Future posting(s) consideration .....

HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the
Late Model F150s > 2015 Ford F150
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.

-REFERENCE-
Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiggum
There is no exact science to this ... best you can do is get pretty close w/ pre-work measurements.

You say your garage opening is 82" clear, right? Measure that in a few different spots to make sure there are no low spots or dips that make it closer to 81" ... point being, make sure you know the least-clear dimension.

Now, go measure your trucks CURRENT high point. Take that, add 4" to it (because you're really only lifting the rear 4", and then lifting the front 6" so that it's level when you're done). Now, measure your stock wheel/tire overall height. It SHOULD be about 32" ... you're going to 35" tires ... so assume that you are going to gain about 1.5" in "lift" from the change in tire size (3" total change, 1.5" per sidewall).

So, you're really lifting your truck up about 5.5 to 6" TOTAL inches when done.

So if your truck was/is only 74" tall to start with, and you add 6" to it, that would be 80" ... which means you'd BARELY clear your way into the garage.
Awesome. I'll do that. Thanks for the help. You give me hope that it could possibly fit. I didn't know it would only be 5.5 - 6" total..I assumed it would be 8-9" with everything added. Thank you guys again!

Quick Reply: Garage/Lift Questions