General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funky Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky Steering

So I just bought a 2004 f150 Heritage the end of January with a hair over 61K on it. Around 3 weeks ago the steering started getting a little gummy. To describe in greater detail, it will grab slightly turning either left or right. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going or how sharp I'm turning. It is an off and on problem but seems to act up more in colder weather. I checked my power steering fluid and it is at the proper level. However, it is black and feels grimy so obviously I need to change it. I'm guessing that the system is dirty and changing out the fluid will fix the problem. If not, anybody have a list of other possibilities that might be causing the issue? Would like to be aware of them in case the fluid change doesn't get the job done.

Also, anybody have any good recommendations on how to properly plush the fluid? I don't think there is any drain plug which means I will either be sucking the fluid out with a turkey baster or unclamping one of the lines to the reservoir to drain the fluid out. Will also need to turn the wheels a few times to fully drain the lines right?

Thanks for any info.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Check the u-joints on the steering shaft, those will bind and cause those symptoms, a bad ball joint on the suspension can cause it as well. To be certain, disconnect the shaft from the gear box and flex the u-joints by hand and see if it binds. Be careful to not turn the steering wheel with the shaft disconnected or you risk damaging the clock spring for the air bag, horn, cruise etc...

If it's not the shaft joints you will need to isolate the suspension from the steering by disconnecting the linkage at the steering knuckles, jack the vehicle up and remove both front wheels, swivle each side independently to see if they are equal as to amount of force it takes to move them each direction.

Last edited by RLXXI; 03-09-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Sorry for my failure to reply. I stay very busy. To make a very long story short I flushed the power steering fluid over the course of about a month but the issue still persisted. Did some more research along with a friend and reached your first conclusion that the steering shaft u joints were bad. A lot of people online said greasing them up good did the trick so was trying that last Saturday and while in that process I discovered that my power steering pump was hemorrhaging fluid out the front. Got that out along with the steering shaft. The shaft had absolutely no play in the u joints and little to no corrosion or rust so stuck it back in along with a new pump. I've only had it out for a few little drives but I haven't experienced the issue with the steering getting gummy or binding.

Now however, I have a new problem in that there is a bad squealing when I run the engine that is constant no matter if I'm driving or idling. It intensifies when engine rpms go up. I took the serpentine belt completely off and cleaned the heck out of it with break cleaner along with all the pulleys. Made sure it was properly aligned as well. That did absolutely nothing to alleviate the noise. Measured the pulley diameters on both the old and new power steering pumps and they're an exact match so that wouldn't be the issue either. Don't know if it's the belt or one of the pulley's making the noise. Any ideas?

Thank you for you previous reply and information and once again I apologize for my extreme tardiness in replying.

Thanks