General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pumps replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fuel pumps replacement

Since my fuel pressure dropped to below 12PSI, something had to be done. I've run the truck out of gas in both tanks before i started. I've started with rear tank bolts. I've put a 13mm wrench upon a bolt so it would lean to the frame when i'll start to unscrew the nut

I had to be careful not to damage wires. When i've loosened all of 4 nuts, i've installed a highjack under the tank to prevent it from falling on me

After that i've removed all 4 bolts holding the tank, loosened yokes holding the fuel intake

and removed 3 small bolts holding the intake to the fender.
After that i split the fuel intake in 2 and removed the external part from the intake.After that i've removed the highjack and lowered the tank.

Then i've started with front tank - that was easier. I've removed fuel intake, both nuts and lowered it.

Since i haven't got a fuel line disconnecting tool at that time, i had to remove the pumps from the tanks with a screwdriver and a hammer, making the holding ring rotate counter clockwise. I disconnected the pump vent. lines, took out the pumps from the tanks(did it carefully not to damage the sending unit) so i was able to remove tanks finally.

When i finally got the required tool, i've disconnected both pumps and a fuel filter.

It will be much easier to disconnect the pumps first, and then remove them from tanks not under the truck. Anyway i had them disconnected. I also removed a fuel filter (no tools only hands, but watch for fingers). Since i didn't pour the gas from the fuel lines, my working gloves were all wet with gas. I've decided to make a smoke brake to let them dry. here's the result.

They really dryed up, but faster than i could think

After that i've started with disassembling the plastic shields.

Last edited by Fast Hampster; 07-28-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lifted the pipes canefully with a screwdriver

so now a tool could fit

The same was with rear pump.

After that i've spent about 30 minutes with several screwdrivers trying to remove the cap. Finally i've made it.

So now i was able to find some replacement pumps. I've bought some of lada

In left-to -right order: front pump with rubber seal on, rear one with seal off, two replacement boch pumps, and some tool for scale.

And so they fit

New pump on the left, old one on the right.

I've cleaned both tanks with kerosene. I aslo cleaned the inner side of a pump shields and both in-tank filters with carb cleaner. After that i've assembled everything in reverce order, and i put some grease to the pump holding ring to prevent it from further rust.

I've had some hard time with rear tank because the intake pipe didn't want to fit between the frame and the bed, but finally it fit. Another hard part was installing the front fuel intake because the pipes didn't want to get together.

Last edited by Fast Hampster; 07-28-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Good writeup and great pics...Took a smoke break while working on fuel pumps is a bad thing.... mmmm kay
Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up....really really wish I had seen this before i started mine...I have a issue with that four lead plug in the cap....I accidentally pulled the plug out of the cap and now the wireswill not go back on...been down 2 days now and i am desperate for advice. ford dealer says i gotta buy a whole assembly. auto store said they cant even order that. got any advice?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

thread is almost a year old and Fast isn't on as much currently as he's working on building his business. :-)

Quick Reply: Fuel pumps replacement