Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire almost came off the truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front tire almost came off the truck!!!

Well a couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2005 stx from my local dealer. I had them install new tires due to a alignment issue the truck had. This past weekend we decided to go to San Antonio to hit the river walk and fiesta texas. ANyways, we were about 35 miles till we hit the city limits when I noticed a vibration in the front end that kept getting worst. I decided to pull over and check it out. I found out of my 6 lug nuts.. 3 were broken off completly... 2 studs were missing lug nuts and the 6th lug was already loose. Talk about my blood pressure going up.. I couldnt believe it. Here we are.. 11pm on the side of the freeway waiting on a tow. I decided to get it towed the rest of the way to San Antonio. The only repair shops that I know that are open on Sundays are NTB and Firestone so It went to NTB. When the tow truck arrived is when I reliazed that all 5 of us will not fit. I tried calling a cab but aparently cab companys do not pick up from the shoulder of the freeway so that option was out.when I informed the tow driver of our situation he called a fellow tow truck driver who went home and picked up his personal car and came to give the rest of my family a ride. It blew my mind that someone would actually do that. It really saved our butt. I ended up giving the guy $120 for his time. He refused it at first but I insisted. Im just glad there are people still out there who cares enough about people to help them out when there in a tough spot. Luckly there was a hotel about 1/2 mile away from NTB that I walked too after we dropped the truck off. By this time is was around 2am and I was extremly exhausted. I woke up around 7am on Sunday.. jumped in the shower and walked back to NTB so I could be there when they opened. once they opened and I started my story they were so understanding. The manager drove to the parts store in his own vehicle to get the parts so they could get me out the door as soon as possible. I ended up leaving NTB around 10:30 that morning with a new hub assembly and $516 lighter in my wallet. NTB also informed me that the other front tire was also loose. They notated it in the invoice and gave me my copy. We ended up salvaging what we could of the trip and made it to fiesta texas for the rest of the day. So this morning I contacted the dealership and informed the service manager what had happened. He appologized and wanted to speak with the GM before he made any promises. ANyways he called me back about 2 hrs later and informed me to give him copies of all the reciepts and they would reinburse me. When I informed him of the cash I gave to the guy that took my family to the hotel he just said that the person who issues money has to have a receipt. I didnt argue .. to me it wasnt worth it as long as they are trying to make good on the situation. The lession I learned.. always double check work from a shop because you never know. Tomorrow Im headed back to the dealer so I can drop off the reciepts and get a alignment and a set of new lug nuts all the way around... free of charge

Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Boomer Sooner!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow man that is crazy! Glad you made the decision to pull over and check it out. That could have been way worse...

to the dealership for making it right and to the tow company!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I worked at a tire shop about 8 years ago and I'll tell you custom wheels take an extra few steps when tightning lug nuts down. That is something I would not trust a dealership to do. Glad the dealership took responsibility.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happended to me with 78 miles off the dealers lot, the guy in the dealer shop forgot to remove the hub spacer from the passenger front wheel when he put the stock rims back on.

Since then the truck has had two alignments and never rolled true.

Sorry that you had this happen.

BB
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Unfortunately, like with most service shops, the newbies get the easy jobs like tire changes & oil changes. Where the journeymen usually get the more in depth jobs. This seems like the case.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFresno
Unfortunately, like with most service shops, the newbies get the easy jobs like tire changes & oil changes. Where the journeymen usually get the more in depth jobs. This seems like the case.
X2. I always make sure to double check everything when i leave the dealership.. They always seem to screw up the most minor things.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

This is why wheel torque is imperative people!

Obviously the previous owner was taking that truck to non-professionals who just hammer that lug nut on the vehicle with their impact guns set at the max and no torque stick attached.

Also good info for anyone who does their own tire rotations etc. Torque for our F150 wheels is 150 ft/lbs
Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow, whatever the dealer gives you is not enough for putting you and your family in danger. Thank God this situation didn't become any worse.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys... I just dropped off the truck so they can do a alignment and install new wheel lug nuts. NTB put a temp lugs on so there mismatching. Im very fortunate that the dealer took the responsibility on this without a fight. I should have a check for my out of pocket expenses tomorrow. Two thumbs up for Champion Ford in Katy tx for doing the right thing. My torque wrench is waiting for the truck to come home...I will definatly be double checking the lug nuts..LOL

Quick Reply: Front tire almost came off the truck!!!