Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front springs wrong way round Bilstein 5100

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front springs wrong way round Bilstein 5100

Hey guys,

I drive a 2015 F150 FX4. I purchased and installed the Bilstein 5100 shocks for all four sides of my truck. The front two ride height adjustable shocks were set to the max setting of 2.1” and installed by the dealership over a month ago. It’s also been aligned.

However, I noticed right after the install that the truck is now leaning towards the driver’s side (passenger side higher by 0.5”-1”). Initially I thought that it needed more time to break in. It was originally completely even before the install.

The dealership has determined that the installation process was done correctly and are not sure what’s causing the lean. I managed to find a stock FX4 around my neighbourhood and noticed that my passenger side spring is 180 degrees around. Is this the cause of the lean?

Also, are front springs side specific?

Thanks in advance!

Stock F150 FX4 Passenger Side
My truck’s shocks (Passenger Side)
Stock F150 FX4 Driver Side
My truck’s shocks (Driver Side)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine has a lean by that much too but it's running stock struts with Rancho shocks in the rear. I've read that these trucks and others can lean to the driver side a bit naturally. Not saying it's always been there for you but maybe you're just really observant after the suspension was installed and are just now noticing the slight lean? Your fuel tank is also on the driver side so I was told that will cause a slight lean. Take a pic from the front an rear. Tbh I think I was a bit OCD when I first bought it and was looking at everything and now it looks like it has no lean.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM
DR_

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Disconnect the front sway bar and see if it still leans.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Mine has a lean by that much too but it's running stock struts with Rancho shocks in the rear. I've read that these trucks and others can lean to the driver side a bit naturally. Not saying it's always been there for you but maybe you're just really observant after the suspension was installed and are just now noticing the slight lean? Your fuel tank is also on the driver side so I was told that will cause a slight lean. Take a pic from the front an rear. Tbh I think I was a bit OCD when I first bought it and was looking at everything and now it looks like it has no lean.
My rear does lean to the driver side but I did measure the distance from the top of the tire to the front fender lip of the front driver and pAssenger side prior to the install and it was perfectly level.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Spring direction is not relevant. A little variation is no big deal just adjust that shock.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

rotation of the spring and its lower perch won't make any difference. Your bilstein left and right pictures are at different angles so it's hard to say if anything is amiss, but just check that the lower spring perch is the same distance from the bottom of the shock (to the eyelet maybe?) on both sides. If they are the same, it will eliminate the spring installation on the bottom perch as the issue. maybe check the strut top as well that both have the same amount of shock coming through upper mount and the same amount of threads on both sides at the top. If all of that is the same, I would suggest it has to do with the fuel tank weight and natural lean toward the driver's side.

Last edited by tcp2; 12-13-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Just go airborne over some tracks, it will fix it right up! Yep I know some will be like, well thats just stupid, however, a couple days after I installed mine, I went over what used to be tracks, and is now a bike path, speed limit is 55, and I went over it at just the right angle to get some lift, not enough to get the wheels off the ground, but enough to feel it and when it came back down, heard a small pop on the passenger side and truck has been fine ever since. Before it had a slight left lean to it. It may be that the passenger spring is not fully seated in the saddle up top. A slight adjustment was all it needed on mine. That was 20 some K ago.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put hockey pucks on mine a few weeks ago for a level. The rubber spring seat on top under the cap kept trying to turn on me since I had to rotate cap 180 degrees. It is angled to fit the end of the spring and sounds like it’s turned 1/8 or 1/4 turn off. Can’t remember if you can see after install. Maybe.

Quick Reply: Front springs wrong way round Bilstein 5100