General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise.

I have a 2006 f150 stx 4.6 little 4x4. I was down at the local beach playing around in the truck a little bit all of a sudden there was a loude clunk noise the continued to do it while in reverse and 4 wheel drive. Then my 4 wheel wouldn't work and was stuck. I got pulled out and my 4 wheel started working again. But now there is a loude rapid clicking sound from the front end. And it is definitely coming from both driver and passenger side. This my be a little confusing but any help with what the hell is going on would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your CV joints need to be replaced - They can be taken apart and repacked if nothing is broken or chipped, but with the cost of labour it is generally cheaper just to change the whole shaft.
or It may be your wheel bearing problem or Axle problem check it out from mechanic.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM

that's what i was afraid of. i already did one wheel bearing and it was a complete different noise. this doesn't sound like a cv either. i have had cv's go out on other vehicles and it sounds nothing like this. this almost sounds like there is metal floating around inside the hubs. but ill take it to a mechanic and see what he says. thanks for the input
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM

by process of elimination i have (as best as i can tell) figured out that the problem isn't the transfer case, or the iwe system, or cv axle. it appears to be isolated to the drivers side front wheel somewhere. however as soon as i took the tire off i didn't hear the noise. i still haven't taken it to a mechanic, but will be tomorrow. the only mechanic in town that i trust is too busy today. but if there is any other advise that anyone has it would be appreciated. thanks.

Quick Reply: Front end noise.