General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time truck buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time truck buyer

New to the site and forum so i apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.
I recently graduated college and work for a construction company and was looking to buy my first truck. Going to put it out there and say i don't know much about them but i love the look and feel of them and almost need one to drive on sites and such. The F150 is the one i was hoping to get but I've had multiple friends advise against this because the "newer" models quality is much worse and have many issues that will pop up. I just wanted to ask everyone else's opinion on this and if so what truck they would recommend? (Have not yet had the time to test drive anything yet)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Well its been motortrends truck of the year the few past years now so idk what your friends are smoking
Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No matter what you buy, if you drive it long enough, it will have problems. I wouldn't spend so much time focusing on the negatives.
The following users liked this post:
unburntt (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

My main suggestion is to think about what you need now and ALSO might need / want in the future, and get that.

For example, you might say to yourself "eh, I don't think I'll do any serious off-roading so I won't get 4x4" or "I'll skip the locking differential" but then down the road all your friends are off-roading and now you have a truck that doesn't meet your needs. Certain things can be added aftermarket down the road, but in general it's much easier to get from the factory, plus items from the factory are covered under the warranty.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by midtenn
No matter what you buy, if you drive it long enough, it will have problems. I wouldn't spend so much time focusing on the negatives.
This.

And on a similar note, I truly believe there are no "bad" trucks out there (speaking in terms of brand...I know there are lemons every now and then). All vehicles are produced and are pretty high quality products. If you take care of it and maintain it as you should, any of your choices will be a reliable truck.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

youll hear good and bad about any brand, drive them all and get the one you like best. if youre worried about the quality of it, get the extended warranty.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by unburntt
New to the site and forum so i apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.
I recently graduated college and work for a construction company and was looking to buy my first truck. Going to put it out there and say i don't know much about them but i love the look and feel of them and almost need one to drive on sites and such. The F150 is the one i was hoping to get but I've had multiple friends advise against this because the "newer" models quality is much worse and have many issues that will pop up. I just wanted to ask everyone else's opinion on this and if so what truck they would recommend? (Have not yet had the time to test drive anything yet)

At the end of the day your going to get some solid advice here but it all comes down to your personal preferences. That being said I was in a somewhat similar situation when I graduated from law school, I wanted a truck. I was a Chevy fan my whole life, I took my old 2012 FX4 for a test drive and I was hooked. Go drive them all, I test drove at least 10 trucks when I bought my old one.

Quick Reply: First time truck buyer