General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust tape??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust tape??

I have a new black F150 and while Im not going for a huge black out look, I was thinking of wrapping my exhaust in Exhaust tape like a lot of motorcycles do. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for yay or nay. I don't want to do a chrome tip as I don't have any other chrome on the truck, its mostly black at this point. 2014 F150 STX crew cab.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

post pics if you do. they also make black tips, but my opinion is the way our exhausts run you end up seeing that it's just a tip from behind the truck so they all look stupid. i've thought about cutting mine off right at the last bend but don't want the heat/exhaust ending under the truck. have also thought about using high temp paint/grill paint like some of the harley guys have done
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I thought about a full treatment with engine enamel and all that. Decided against it. I used a Gibson Exhaust 3in 3.5out powder coated black tip. Low profile clamp, really blends well. The I plastidipped the piping and the heat shield over the spare tire.

PD is rated to a pretty high temp so it'll easily be fine for an exhaust. So far it looks great. It's been on a few weeks now and no imperfections. It's the only PD on my truck and it's gonna stay that way.
Attached Thumbnails exhaust tape??-image-3182433454.jpg   exhaust tape??-image-2159756989.jpg   exhaust tape??-image-2145628184.jpg   exhaust tape??-image-191241918.jpg   exhaust tape??-image-4020653155.jpg  

Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
I thought about a full treatment with engine enamel and all that. Decided against it. I used a Gibson Exhaust 3in 3.5out powder coated black tip. Low profile clamp, really blends well. The I plastidipped the piping and the heat shield over the spare tire. PD is rated to a pretty high temp so it'll easily be fine for an exhaust. So far it looks great. It's been on a few weeks now and no imperfections. It's the only PD on my truck and it's gonna stay that way.
In these pics the PD looks a but glossy as it was only 30 min after spraying. After a day or two it stormed and became more matte matching the tip.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! where do you get PD done? is it something you can just buy and DYI?? Ive seen some other grills, bumpers etc done, looks like it needs to be professionally done. If I go with the Tape ill post pics asap.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tj Hunter
nice! where do you get PD done? is it something you can just buy and DYI?? Ive seen some other grills, bumpers etc done, looks like it needs to be professionally done. If I go with the Tape ill post pics asap.
Haha Plasti Dip is an over the counter product available everywhere. Lowe's is where I got mine. Very easy DIY. Just clean surface and spray layers.

exhaust tape??-plasti-dip-5.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Tj Hunter (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

wouldn't have thought of PD, but I think i'd still go with high temp paint since it's more for that type application

of course my truck decided to stumble a few times again today so until i get it running dependably all future mods are on hold
Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've wrapped mine in black tape.... probably outta habit of wrapping the exhaust on my bikes but yea,looks pretty cool if your looking particularly at the exhaust.I'll post a pic tomorrow. My advice is to use the stainless band straps from Summit or Jegs ,makes the ends looks clean.And wear gloves,good tape is heavy coated in fiberglass,so it sill itch like crazy.
The following users liked this post:
Tj Hunter (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Fxcrazy, that looks really good. I can't believe that plasti dip can hold up to heat. Make sure to post a pic back in this thread in say, a few more weeks, to see if it holds up yet.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Fxcrazy, that looks really good. I can't believe that plasti dip can hold up to heat. Make sure to post a pic back in this thread in say, a few more weeks, to see if it holds up yet.
I will. It's already been on there a few weeks now, but it's looking pretty dirty. I think the black means having to clean it more often. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with the PD just the fact that it's black. Monday I'm going to clean everything again and will post up.

Quick Reply: exhaust tape??