General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive pitting on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive pitting on windshield

I have a '17 F150 and the windshield is extremely pitted. I only have one actual chip that needed to be fixed but the rest of the window is completely covered in light chips. I say light but there is literally about 20-30 pitts per a quarter diameter section across the entire windshield. I can post a pic to demonstrate but for now, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this severe of a problem on a truck that is less than a year old. Could it be a bad windshield?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Before you pony up the money to have your windshield replaced, try using #0000 steel wool to polish the glass. Clean the window first, rub the glass with steel wool in circular motions to polish WITHOUT using water or any liquid, then hose off the windshield. Finish with something like Rain-X or other glass treatment. Unless you've done a lot of driving at speed on gravel roads behind other vehicles--in which case your hood would look like sh-t as well--I'm betting it's a matter of grit and other deposits on the window as opposed to actual pits. Worth a shot...
Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Are you sure they're pits and not hard water spots or something similar?
Unless you park your truck inside a sand blasting factory or like to follow gravel trucks its hard to believe the windshield got pitted that bad.

I'd try clay barring the windshield before pushing the panic button.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by icantdrive55
Before you pony up the money to have your windshield replaced, try using #0000 steel wool to polish the glass. Clean the window first, rub the glass with steel wool in circular motions to polish WITHOUT using water or any liquid, then hose off the windshield. Finish with something like Rain-X or other glass treatment. Unless you've done a lot of driving at speed on gravel roads behind other vehicles--in which case your hood would look like sh-t as well--I'm betting it's a matter of grit and other deposits on the window as opposed to actual pits. Worth a shot...
I agree! I owned a detail business and used steel wool to "deep" clean glass all the time. Just PLEASE make sure to use #0000 ( Ultra Fine )!!!!!!! Any other grade of steel wool WILL scratch the glass. Also, give the truck a good washing when done. The dust from the steel wool will leave tiny rust spots on your paint if allowed to sit there and get damp!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

I've used clay bar with good results in the past.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by seventyeight
I've used clay bar with good results in the past.
Same here!
Clay barring cleaned stubborn water spots, dried bug guts and other stuck on debris where window cleaners didn't work and tried them all.
I personally would try the clay bar first before steel wool.

As a bonus if a Quick Wax is used with the clay bar instead of soapy water, it will add a thin layer of wax to the windshield minimizing debris bonding to the glass and also will bead rain similar to RainX. End result is a super clean'd windshield after buffing the wax haze off.

The following users liked this post:
seventyeight (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: excessive pitting on windshield