General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evaporator temp sensor error B1B71

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Evaporator temp sensor error B1B71

I have a 2009 F150 Lariat (original owner) that had been havibg a/c issues (cold then warm air then back to cold). Ran scan tool and found I had a temp sensor error. To my surprise, Ford does not sell this part unless you buy the whole evaporator chamber. I've had to take the dash apart for other a/c issues and wasn't looking forward to the task. I figured my pain and suffering could help others avoid the same task. I've documented how to change out the sensor using an Amazon generic Ford sensor without removing the evaporator casing. I came up with this after getting a complete hvac unit from a wreck. After disassembling the hvac unit, Iremoved the probe and tested the resistance comparing the Ford probe (blue) to the Amazon probe (red). The curves are displayed in the attachments. They were close enough for me. I then went to the bottom of the casing and drilled a 1/2" hole as close to the evaporator as possible (you can see that it's at the end of the molding lines. The drill can only go 1/2" into the casing or you run the risk of hitting the evaporator. A 1/2" hole provides sufficient clearance to insert the generic probe and secures it in place next to the evaporator. All of this is detailed in the attachments. Hope this helps others who are dealing with this issue.

prior to drilling

drill point

depth guage

probe placement

probe attached

blue - Ford probe from salvage yard red - Amazon generic Ford probe
Attached Thumbnails Evaporator temp sensor error B1B71-probe_inserted.jpg   Evaporator temp sensor error B1B71-depth.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelkowolenko:
Jimboy (05-01-2024), Newbie 5 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:26 PM

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Welcome
Old 05-03-2024, 02:43 AM

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Welcome.

Quick Reply: Evaporator temp sensor error B1B71