Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flush to free Oil Rings.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Engine Flush to free Oil Rings.

So the vehicle I'm working on is a 1995 F1 50 with a 302. The PO was original and had passed away at 92 when I purchased, it has 110k miles. The truck has been beautifully maintained. Only problem is it wants to use 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. The vehicle sat for the last four years this gentleman owned it. When I recently changed the plugs cylinders four, five and six showed signs of oil burning in the cylinders.
I've tried some different engine flush is trying to free up these rings to no avail. This is the fix I'd like to try. Fill the crank case with diesel fuel. Let it sit for about 15 minutes then drain the diesel fuel out. I figure this will flood the Pistons with diesel fuel. Repeat this procedure four or five times throughout the day. The spark plugs would of course be removed.I would let the diesel fuel just sit in the engine but I'm not quite sure what that would do to the gaskets. This is all done in hopes of breaking the gum up off the oil rings. A procedure would be followed before restarting so I'm not worried about starving the engine of oil.
What do you think? If anyone has some better ideas I'm all ears.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

You would better off pulling the plugs out and filling the cylinders with diesel and letting it sit. The diesel will seep past the rings with a bit of time. Unless you plan on filling the bottom end with enough diesel it actually fills it to the cylinders from the underside... which you could do by filling the engine until the diesel stopped draining out of the heads. Diesel sitting in the oil pan won't do a thing. The real fix unfortunately... pull the pistons and rering it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
You would better off pulling the plugs out and filling the cylinders with diesel and letting it sit. The diesel will seep past the rings with a bit of time. Unless you plan on filling the bottom end with enough diesel it actually fills it to the cylinders from the underside... which you could do by filling the engine until the diesel stopped draining out of the heads. Diesel sitting in the oil pan won't do a thing. The real fix unfortunately... pull the pistons and rering it.

This^ and let it sit over night.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used Transmission fluid though the sparks plugs with great success as well for this problem! Putting it into the bottom end wont do anything for your rings. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Martin

Filling it so the Pistons are covered was the plan, however much that takes maybe 3 or 4 gallons. After it was filled I would drain it out and let it sit, but if it won't harm the gaskets I'll just leave it in. Worst case 1 qt every 1000 miles I can keep up with, so I didn't want to rering just yet.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

A few ounces into the spark plug holes ...
Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Martin

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
A few ounces into the spark plug holes ...
Good product, but not quite enough for this job.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default freeing up piston rings

There is a product used in construction and industry called 'hydraulic solvent.' It is generally slow acting as you never add more than ten (10) percent by volume. Again, it is slow acting so you'll spend several months cleaning out the old gunk.
Keep close track of the oil condition and don't be afraid to change the filter frequently.
It may sound like a pain but I've done it with an old engine and after it took six months tore the engine down and the pistons were free of carbon and the rest of the engine was very good.
Lubriplate (an industrial lubricants supplier) makes it under the label "lubricant solvent."
And take it easy on the engine when you use it.
Good luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
Good product, but not quite enough for this job.
I'd start with mmo. Should be least risky. Worst case, it doesn't work and you go for stronger solvents. I've seen it used with some success as an overnight piston soak. Thought not all the time.

But hell, with only 1qt/1000 miles, I'd drive it and keep it topped off.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

I would soak the cylinders with wd-40 pretty heavily and let it set. do this about every hour then pour an engine flush into the oil and run it for a bit. if that doesn't work then try putting some sea foam into the cylinders and letting it sit a couple hours before running.

Quick Reply: Engine Flush to free Oil Rings.