Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumb question

I guess you got to be pretty bored to think up a dumb question like this but, here it goes. Diesel engines in your big 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks get similar gas mileage to a 5.4 L gas engine or other bigger gas engines, accept the diesel sees better mileage while towing than the gas engines and you get way better pulling power with the higher torque ratings. Other smaller 4 cylinder diesel engines in cars like VW's and Mercedes are said to get really good gas mileage also. Why in the case of trucks in the 1/2 class, have manufacturers not produced or thought of producing a smaller diesel truck engines to be used in F150, 1500 Rams and 1500 Silverados? The Powerstroke is a 6.0L, the Duramax is a 6.0, and the Cummins is a 6.7L. Why dont they make a smaller diesel engine for 1/2 ton trucks, say a 4.0L 6 cylinder for a 1/2 ton truck. It would be lighter in weight than the bigger diesels but would probably out pull a bigger gas engine and get better gas mileage. Is there some kind of mechanical reason of why this would not be ethical? The only con i would see is that the price of diesel is higher.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ford is actually looking at coming out with a diesel in the f150 next year. They have two engines that are going to be available and yes the cost will be a bit more. I think they are having problems with emissions requirements, but am not for sure about that. I too am excited to see an f150 with a diesel motor. So just be patient and they will have one out soon.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out tis thread here.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/looking-forward-4-4-liter-diesel-15047/
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
cwcw

Wow, that will be cool. By the time 2012 or 2013 rolls around i will be looking for a new Ford, as mine is only 2.5 years old now. I would pay an extra $5k for a diesel instead of the gas. I just cant see spending 50 grand on a 3/4 ton just to get a diesel. Especially when i dont tow anything heavy enough for a heavy duty truck.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

That's one of the driving forces behind the concept. People want the diesel but not that massive truck that you need to get it. Should be interesting.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The challenge is to get emissions in check. For class 8 trucks 2009 standards are requiring what the industry calls scrubbers....fancy name for catylitic convertors for diesels. School districs are getting federal money to convert the buses with the scrubber.
The problem with this and diesels are the temporature that the scrubber maintains to burn the crap off.
Putting a small diesel in a vehicle will require some serious engineering to prevent heat build up and chance of fire.
Then there is the subject of where will you dispose of all that sulfur that accumulates in the scrubber.

Some big questions here to be resolved.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ford and GM both have small direct injected diesels in their trucks in Europe, so they have engines ready to go. The catalytic coverter issue is much the same as they had with gas engines in the beginning, some of the first units installed got so hot they actually set the cars on fire they where installed in. If we do not too draconian with future emmission standards things will be OK. They are presently road testing VW Polo direct injected diesel cars in this area. This is a line of VW's that are just a little smaller then the present Jetta. I have some friends who are road testing this car in Colorado. I am here to tell you the Polo is going to put the hurts to the Hybrids. It is easy to get 70 mpg on the highway with the Polo. Not only that but it has plenty of power. They also have direct injected gas engines in Europe and these things are almost magical. The run very high compression ratios, for a gas engine, of upwards of 12 to 1. Normally this would require high octane racing gasoline to operate with but because of the direct injection the fuel is not introduced into the combustion chamber until top-dead-center. Ignition and fuel introduction happen at the same time. I quess you could call such an engine a semi-diesel. This way you can run lower octane fuel and not have pre-detonation. These engines put out impressive hp, and get fantastic gas mileage at the same time. Please, please, please, please!!!! are you listening Ford and GM can we have these engines and cars over here

Last edited by transmaster; 03-05-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
That's one of the driving forces behind the concept. People want the diesel but not that massive truck that you need to get it. Should be interesting.
I agree, I've got an 05' STX and my dads got an 08' f250 and that thing is just a little too much truck unless you really use it every day and the mileage isn't very good 14mpg in the city 17 on the interstate, has crazy power and will pull an aircraft carrier but just too much truck and too much money unless you work it everyday and get your money out of it. A light duty diesel would be awesome and eliminate the need to pay 50k for a nice heavy hauler.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There you go F150cwcw, your dumb question got two real good answers from both Ranger2F150 and transmaster. Just like I tought them. Hugh!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
There you go F150cwcw, your dumb question got two real good answers from both Ranger2F150 and transmaster. Just like I tought them. Hugh!
Never thought i would have learned so much from a dumb question. I was surprised!

Quick Reply: Dumb question