Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Vibration - 2017 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Vibration - 2017 Ecoboost

Hello folks,

My truck, which I bought about three months ago, has a noticeable vibration when driving. I had it to the dealer once and they used a vibration analyzer. They said it was the driverside rear tire and replaced it (Goodyear Wrangler). Prior to that, they said they checked all tires (balancing, road-forced them, etc). From the feel of driving it, I have a hard time believing it was the tire.

Anyhow, the problem is still present after being serviced. I'm taking it back in this coming Monday (Dec. 4th, 2017). The truck has about 8000 kms on it. The vibration started around ~ 4000 km.

I love the truck, but this is starting to worry me. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Figured I would post an update;

- the vibration analyzer did not specify or "lock-in" on any specific component, so there are no issues with the drive train, suspension, frame, body, etc

- I was informed that the allowable maximum frequency of vibration specified by Ford is approximately 0.008 ~ 0.009 (hertz...?). Mine was at .014 on the first visit

- after two visits, one tire replacement, and road-force balancing the tires, they were able to get mine down to approximately 0.007

- the shop foreman came with me for a road test. Although he agreed that the vibration is still noticeable, it was better overall

- overall, he believes that the 10 speed transmission allows for very low RPMs while cruising (which is true) and the passenger can notice more centrifugal force throughout the drive train. He's basically concluding that this is a characterisitc of the truck with the 10 speed trans.

- another dealership informed me that they have multiple trucks in for vibration and they are waiting for a visit from Ford Canada representatives

Overall, I can live with it, but it is a little disappointing paying $55k for a truck that has vibrational characteristics. I'm very impressed with the power train and technology in this truck (coming from a 2014 GMC Sierra). But, being my first Ford purchase, it puts my future with Ford in question.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi,

I suggest you search & read the 100+ threads with respect to your issue on this forum as it has been addressed many times.

Driveshaft vibs will occur at a certain speed, generally lower than the ''wheel vibrations'' a bad balancing could cause. It's a known issue that occurs randomly : some of them experience it, some of them don't.

Last edited by Eduskator; 12-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 AM

My bad; being a new Ford owner, I didn't realize how prevalent the issue is. Yes - you are right, after performing a search and combing through posts, there is a lot of discussion regarding this.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

No worries! You're not the only one... Dealerships usually don't do much when it comes to driveshaft vibs... It's kind of a ''gray zone''.