General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on the Beach

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving on the Beach

I am heading to the Outerbanks in NC next week and want to bring my truck on the beach. It will be the first time driving in the sand so I have a couple of concerns. My main one revolves around my tires. I have a 2013 Limited with 22" rims and low profile tires. I know to reduce the air pressure to 20 psi or lower but will the low profile tires negatively impact driving on the sand. Are they disadvantaged compared with higher profile tires found on other trucks? I can't find the answer online so any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much experience but lowering the tire pressure creates more of a footprint over a larger surface area, giving more traction in sand. more sidewall allows for more area to smush out so to speak so with the low profile tires...may not make much of a difference/?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I bleed Blue

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Your going to have to go way below 20psi for any difference. I ran mine at 12psi at the dunes a few weeks ago and I never got stuck once. Im only on 18s tho. Run the trans in Manual mode and as soon as you feel it bog down downshift it and hammer down.I only used 1st and 2nd gear on the sand in 4high.

Quick Reply: Driving on the Beach