Dealership knows what I paid for my Truck - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership knows what I paid for my Truck

 
Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Dealership knows what I paid for my Truck

Wanted to hear yalls thoughts on this.

Went to trade in my 2018 and had a number in mind based off research. I got low balled and explained why I wanted more, then was met with a response that included a piece of paper showing the amount I spent on my truck the day I bought it....

I have traded more than a couple handfuls of cars but have never been presented evidence of what I bought the truck for as justification for what their trade in offer was.

Have dealerships always been able to see initial purchase price or is this something new?
PSTSTX is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM
  #2  
Living by the OBD Code
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,197
Thanked 155 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Seems logical, not a surprise, especially within a corporation. Big corporations all have huge databases that they use to track consumers. I called my insurance company once just to see about filing a claim for a small ding, and they added it to the database as an incident, on my insurance record. The database is shared by all insurance companies, I discovered later when I changed companies. No hiding.

Regardless, you should just tell them that it doesn't matter. Value does not come from what you paid it comes from what the next guy will pay.
BareBonesXL is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:30 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

....another shocker..they also know what other dealerships have offered you for your trade...

I walked and will be avoiding corporate dealerships like the plague. AutoNation and Berkshire have ruined the joy of haggling.
PSTSTX is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:34 PM
  #4  
Living by the OBD Code
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,197
Thanked 155 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PSTSTX View Post
....another shocker..they also know what other dealerships have offered you for your trade...

I walked and will be avoiding corporate dealerships like the plague. AutoNation and Berkshire have ruined the joy of haggling.
Just know your number and stick to it. Who cares if they know? If their next sale is going to walk out the door because they low-balled them, they'll fold. You have the advantage. You should just walk in and tell them right away what you paid for it and what shape it's in and what you expect to get for trade-in value. Take it or you leave.
BareBonesXL is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BareBonesXL For This Useful Post:
nubbins_ (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:32 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
PerryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chico, Ca.
Posts: 3,456
Thanked 535 Times in 443 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL View Post
Just know your number and stick to it. Who cares if they know? If their next sale is going to walk out the door because they low-balled them, they'll fold. You have the advantage. You should just walk in and tell them right away what you paid for it and what shape it's in and what you expect to get for trade-in value. Take it or you leave.
We should go car shopping together someday. I think we'd have fun with some poor salesperson. I realize there is always some give and take in any deal, but I'm real quick to advise the salesman not to insult my intelligence and to sharpen his pencil in advance. My time is valuable and the country is polluted with dealerships full of new trucks.
PerryB is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM
  #6  
Brodozin' through life
iTrader: (3)
 
AricsFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 5,848
Thanked 777 Times in 594 Posts
Default

What you paid and a fair trade offer do not correlate
AricsFX is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

In texas, I am aware the DMV report shows purchase price. I can't confirm, but I remember when a friend was appraising a vehicle, he was able to see what another dealer had offered recently, and even the name of the guy who did it. The two stores were not affiliated or same chain. Reading this post just made me think of that.
Try another dealer.... get two to compete with each other for your business.
BadaBing1 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 PM
  #8  
Living by the OBD Code
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,197
Thanked 155 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
I realize there is always some give and take in any deal, but I'm real quick to advise the salesman not to insult my intelligence and to sharpen his pencil in advance. My time is valuable
My Dad had a story about telling the salesperson what he'd pay, leaving his phone number, and getting a call to buy the car like two months later. He got his price. It was an 80's 4 door Pontiac Bonneville, but still. He knew his numbers and wasn't going to waste time haggling. Really, you should never start haggling unless you know your limit. Take a hit on the trade-in, knock them down on list price, or vice-versa. The haggling is for the extra little bit. But you have to do the math in advance. That's why the guy pulled out the "we know what you paid" piece of paper. He was trying to get on top.
BareBonesXL is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 AM
  #9  
Brodozin' through life
iTrader: (3)
 
AricsFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Posts: 5,848
Thanked 777 Times in 594 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BadaBing1 View Post
In texas, I am aware the DMV report shows purchase price. I can't confirm, but I remember when a friend was appraising a vehicle, he was able to see what another dealer had offered recently, and even the name of the guy who did it. The two stores were not affiliated or same chain. Reading this post just made me think of that.
Try another dealer.... get two to compete with each other for your business.
as a licensed Texas dealer, this is not possible lol.
AricsFX is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
  #10  
Living by the OBD Code
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,197
Thanked 155 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AricsFX View Post


as a licensed Texas dealer, this is not possible lol.
There's probably a Facebook page you don't know about... Facebook knows everything.
BareBonesXL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership knows what I paid for my Truck


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: