General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#%?& Critters Keep Nesting In My Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #%?& Critters Keep Nesting In My Engine

I have to park my truck in the parking lot outside my apartment. There's a small creek maybe 10 feet away and it's a fairly forested area in general. Twice in the past year, early Spring and just recently, I've left to go to work only to find out my break pedal doesn't budge. "Critters" (likely mice) keep making their home, nesting material and all, in my engine, chewing through the vacuum hose, and dont even pay rent!

Unfortunately, can't really park elsewhere. I've read all sorts of crazy prevention methods online from dryer sheets to sprinkling red pepper, but they all sound ineffective or very temporarary (Like, requires redoing every couple days, cmon). Has anyone found a real solution to this? I want them evicted, for good!!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Hoss
I have to park my truck in the parking lot outside my apartment. There's a small creek maybe 10 feet away and it's a fairly forested area in general. Twice in the past year, early Spring and just recently, I've left to go to work only to find out my break pedal doesn't budge. "Critters" (likely mice) keep making their home, nesting material and all, in my engine, chewing through the vacuum hose, and dont even pay rent!

Unfortunately, can't really park elsewhere. I've read all sorts of crazy prevention methods online from dryer sheets to sprinkling red pepper, but they all sound ineffective or very temporarary (Like, requires redoing every couple days, cmon). Has anyone found a real solution to this? I want them evicted, for good!!
Move to the burbs/inner city.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts

spray mace or pepper spray on everything. Put a respirator on and cover your face. Get mice poison in cubes (its cheap) throw it everywhere near park spot
Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Move to the burbs/inner city.
Heh, I am in the burbs. The complex itself brags about the foliage and has a forest preserve next to it.

Any idea how long a good dose of pepper spray would last? Possible it ends up going through the heat/AC in to cabin?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

It's squirrels around here. My neighbor was talking about some electronic repellent device as they were worried about odors or poisons entering the cabin.

I park in the garage so I don't have a problem.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could get away with it a mouse trap should work.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The dryer sheets from Costco are very effective, I use them even on moles in the lawn. Moth ***** also work and last longer but the smell will be even more objectionable for you if it gets into the cab. I have not heard of anyone actually seeing success with those electronic devices. You might try the sticky traps, place where you think they will cross getting into the engine, and a dab of peanut butter in the middle will attract them.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

One of my coworkers had the same mouse vs. auto at his house and he put a couple of bars of Irish spring soap under the hood. He got this advise from his next door neighbor who also had the same mouse issue. Plus it make the engine compartment smell good.