Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Limit Exceeded, Gas Empty, Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Limit Exceeded, Gas Empty, Battery Dead

Hey all,

I ended up purchasing a new 2018 F150 STX last night, and the dealership had it parked up on a hill with the engine pointed downwards. The salesman attempted to start the vehicle several times before adding gas (presumably) and it wouldn't fire, then they added a few gallons and it still wouldn't start and produced an error reading (crank limit exceeded). They weren't able to let me drive it home last night because it wouldn't start. So, the plan was for me to come back today at 11am and grab it, however, they just called and stated there is air in the fuel system due to last nights issues and they are trying to purge it, problem being the line is buried way under the engine and hard to access. None of this is what I wanted from buying a new truck before I even drive it off the lot. My question is with what has happened, the tech says there will be no lasting damage, but what should I be concerned about if anything? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

First, your salesman is incompetent. He cranked the truck for at least a minute, or several cranks that added up to a minute. These trucks crank right up.

The error goes away in 15 minutes, allowing a 15 second crank. After an hour, you can again crank it for up to a minute.

Found all that with Google.

As to purging air in the system, and "a dead battery", sounds like all of that is fixable. Don't know if they could have overheated the fuel pump.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Right, which I read that too while at the dealership last night but after waiting, it still wouldn't fire, nor this morning after waiting overnight. I think that the combination of running it dry on fuel and the max crank attempts have caused further lockout.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I think I'd move on to a different truck.

My son ran out of gas once (well twice, this was days after the first time). He called me and said "I put in a gallon and it won't start". I said "walk over and get another gallon, then repeat 2 more times. When you have 4 gallons in, try to start it."
Old 02-02-2018, 12:55 PM

I spoke to my mechanic and he said that they could potentially burn up the fuel pump doing that, but that if it goes out, it would be soon and still under warranty. I'm thinking of having the dealership provide me with an addendum stating that they will cover fuel pump failure.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Feathergun
I spoke to my mechanic and he said that they could potentially burn up the fuel pump doing that, but that if it goes out, it would be soon and still under warranty. I'm thinking of having the dealership provide me with an addendum stating that they will cover fuel pump failure.
They'll just say it's covered under the basic warranty... Won't be covered after 3y/36k mark. If there were damages due to what they've done last night, it'll most likely appear within the first year or so. Cross your fingers it happens prior to your warranty expiring.

I understand your concern, it doesn't ''start well'' your relationship with your new vehicle. I'm in the same boat (many of us are).

Last edited by Eduskator; 02-02-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Do all dealerships barely keep gas in the trucks? Every single truck I test drove had the fuel low warning light on.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Is the truck a diesel? If no then the air in fuel system purge is a load of crap, come to think of it, even the diesels now are self purging.

My mechanic spidey sense says don't walk away, RUN LIKE HELL!!!
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Isn't the cranking an automatic process? Just turn the key and let it go?

How long does it crank before it times out? Did this guy keep turning the key when it wouldn't start?

They had to replace a part on mine before I took it. Had a shudder when shifting and mechanic said the pump went bad. Mine was used with 15,000 miles 2 years ago, it has 28,000 now but haven't had any problems.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar issue with my truck. My driveway is inclined and I back in when I park....nose down. I ran my tank down to a little less than a 1/4 one day....parked with no problem. The next morning it wouldn’t start. I placed the truck in neutral and coasted until the truck leveled out. Once level the truck started right up. The gas pickup must be near the rear of the tank. Same thing happened to a friend of mine a couple of days prior to mine.

I exceeded the crank attempts as well....waited the time, coasted until level and cranked it up. This issue has been talked about many times on here.

Quick Reply: Crank Limit Exceeded, Gas Empty, Battery Dead