Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corrosion on 2011 Platinum Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corrosion on 2011 Platinum Wheels?

Need some insight as to what I am looking at. I have searched for some replacements and before dropping spending the money on them or to have these refinished, I was going to see if someone had the same issues out there as I am. After looking at people selling their old platinum wheels, most have the same issue as these. Anyone know how to get rid of this? Anything ideas? It is on all 4 wheels.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 10,081 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Wow, that sux! What you have is clearcoat crazing. The clearcoat is actually coming off the metal, and will allow it to oxidize. This has been an on going problem. There's no saving that clearcoat I'm aware of. It seems to be more common and happens earlier on wheels of the last ten, fifteen years.
There are places that can recondition wheels, but it ain't cheap.
There are places as well that may have your OE wheels in stock, Detroit Wheel and Tire come to mind.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 352 Likes on 264 Posts

Were you using any harsh wheel cleaners or using Wesley's Bleach white on your tires that may have contacted the wheel?

I had some of that crap damage the finish on my old wheels, looks like what yours looks like except mine was on the lip of the wheel.

If I was you, I would google wheel refinishing places in your area and have them looked at first before buying new wheels. Those wheels are still worth money don't trash them, you could even refinish them and sell them for a profit (check ebay to see what they are selling for).