General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation “inside” the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 151 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Condensation “inside” the windshield

Good morning, let me start by stating that I did indeed use the Search feature before posting

My 2018 Lariat Screw, with about 2400 miles on it, had to sit long enough that the system went in to Deep Sleep Mode & of course the Ford Pass app wouldn’t start it to warm it up yesterday and I actually had to use the key fob (good grief! Here I thought I had a high-tech truck! ). Sat for over 2 weeks and lots of rain, snow & frost & sun almost everyday.

When I got in to drive and hit the wipers, there was some condensation/water/moisture on the inside of the windshield; I left the defroster on much longer than needed just to try and dry up whatever I could. My plan is to take it to the dealer but I wish I had thought to take a quick video before grabbing a couple of tissues.

So to sum up, I bought it in November, it’s very low mileage, and it hadn’t done this before when I was driving it pretty regularly; it seems to me there’s a connection between it sitting for over 2 weeks & getting moisture inside. I’m wondering if anyone else has heard of/ experienced this.

Sam
The following users liked this post:
F150sc (12-25-2023)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Do you have a sunroof?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Is it this bad?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
Do you have a sunroof?
Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
Is it this bad?

Yes, it does have a sunroof that has been opened one time, but no, it’s nowhere near as bad as that pic; it was more like a couple of drips running center-driver, center, center-passenger.

Sam
Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,228 Likes on 860 Posts

If it was parked when it was warmer than when you got in it would give you moisture inside, it is called condensation for a reason and cool air does not hold as much water vapor as warm.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (05-10-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Exclamation

If it is the dual pane (panoramic) moonroof, these do have channels where water leak in from the seams. sometimes residual water sits in the channels before exiting down the drains. so that is typically moisture in your vehicle. Not sure this is your case, but it appears to be what happened with the pic that I posted.

Originally Posted by SHOOT1SAM

Yes, it does have a sunroof that has been opened one time, but no, it’s nowhere near as bad as that pic; it was more like a couple of drips running center-driver, center, center-passenger.

Sam
Old 03-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Thank you for the replies.

It didn’t dawn on me to check the side or back windows, so I’m wondering whether I should take it in now, or just take a wait-and-see attitude in case this was a one-time only thing that was caused by it sitting so long in such a wide range of weather conditions.

Sam
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We just had a ton of rain this week and I landed up in a take home from work for the last two months, so the truck doesn't get driven much. The other day I went to drive it. Strong musty smell, windshield had a ton of condensation. Down in south florida, lots of heat and humidity. Did you get a smell with all that moisture in the truck? Fairly concerned I've got a leak somewhere
Old 05-10-2019, 06:08 AM

Received 1,289 Likes on 904 Posts

Depending on the air temperature inside the truck vs outside the truck and the humidity percentages you will get condensation on any vehicle. Higher humidity levels and temperature extremes between inside and outside will determine how much.

Here in GA what you describe is pretty common with any vehicle due to the heat and humidity. 80-90% humidity levels are normal even when it isn't raining. For folks living in dryer climates conditions for this to happen are less common. But under the right conditions it sounds normal to me.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
Depending on the air temperature inside the truck vs outside the truck and the humidity percentages you will get condensation on any vehicle. Higher humidity levels and temperature extremes between inside and outside will determine how much.

Here in GA what you describe is pretty common with any vehicle due to the heat and humidity. 80-90% humidity levels are normal even when it isn't raining. For folks living in dryer climates conditions for this to happen are less common. But under the right conditions it sounds normal to me.
I’m native down here and been driving for almost 30 years and I’ve had a ton of vehicles. I’ve never got into one before and had water beading up on the inside of the windshield before though. “Fog” of course, but this was definitely different. Awfully concerned about the musty smell now too. I get the science of it, what concerns me is the volume of moisture not so much that it happened.

Quick Reply: Condensation “inside” the windshield