General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compact Subwoofer Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Default Compact Subwoofer Opinions

I have always had a traditional sub setup under the seats in my extended cab trucks but I recently got into a 2009 crew cab with no factory sub. I would like to keep my full flat floor so I'm looking into compact subs.

I dont have anyone I know that uses them and hoped some of you did. Are they worth it? What are you using? It seems like everything I read online is a puff piece so I'm a little lost I dont want a blow out my windows but I would like to feel the bass a little. Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to reply.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

My 03 has a 10" shallow mount. I have no issues with feeling the bass. I too don't need to break windows but I enjoy feeling my music. My sub as well as my amp are nowhere near being turned up to max. I've got plenty of power to spare.

I've also in my research and taking with my audiophile friends, found having 2 smaller subs is better than one big sub. You're able to get more depth when you don't have one sub trying to do all the work. So 2 10s can and usually will sound better than say 1 15". With that being said, I didn't have room in my truck for 2 but I am still plenty happy with my lonely 10" lol

Again I know videos aren't the same as in person but I'm happy to make one for ya.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I have posted this before and I'm sure it will be ignored again because it's hard to believe until you hear it in action, but this little guy really fills the music in and add some punch with none of the buzziness of lesser all-in-ones. These compact units have come a long way in the last 15 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Electronics-PWE-S8-Restyle-Subwoofer/dp/B00OYGGMXK/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=alpine+subwoofer&qid=1556052097&s=gateway&sr=8-2 https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Electronics-PWE-S8-Restyle-Subwoofer/dp/B00OYGGMXK/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=alpine+subwoofer&qid=1556052097&s=gateway&sr=8-2
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
My 03 has a 10" shallow mount. I have no issues with feeling the bass. I too don't need to break windows but I enjoy feeling my music. My sub as well as my amp are nowhere near being turned up to max. I've got plenty of power to spare.

I've also in my research and taking with my audiophile friends, found having 2 smaller subs is better than one big sub. You're able to get more depth when you don't have one sub trying to do all the work. So 2 10s can and usually will sound better than say 1 15". With that being said, I didn't have room in my truck for 2 but I am still plenty happy with my lonely 10" lol

Again I know videos aren't the same as in person but I'm happy to make one for ya.
I know what you mean and I had a single 10" on a RF250x1 in my old truck under the seat and it handled really well. I really just want to keep that full flat rear floor open for the dogs and storage when I have the seats flipped up. I think I'm going to try one of the all in one units with smart turn on so I dont have to run rcas or a remote wire.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by deejaylew
I have posted this before and I'm sure it will be ignored again because it's hard to believe until you hear it in action, but this little guy really fills the music in and add some punch with none of the buzziness of lesser all-in-ones. These compact units have come a long way in the last 15 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Electr...gateway&sr=8-2
This is one of the units I have been contemplating. The guy from crutchfield recommended the sound ordinance 8" but I dont know the brand and I dont mind spending a little more to get something reliable.

What do you drive and where is yours mounted if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

I know on that website I posted they have a behind the seat box for an 01-03 supercrew. Don't know what's behind your 09 seat but maybe give them a call and see if they can make one to go behind?

Yeah I get wanting to leave the floor open, i sometimes miss it but I can at least still flip up the drivers side and that's enough for now. If I had the behind the seat option in the s cab I would've done that. That compact all in one jobby looks interesting. Worth a shot if they have no hassle returns. Looks like you could hide that just about anywhere.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
I know on that website I posted they have a behind the seat box for an 01-03 supercrew. Don't know what's behind your 09 seat but maybe give them a call and see if they can make one to go behind?

Yeah I get wanting to leave the floor open, i sometimes miss it but I can at least still flip up the drivers side and that's enough for now. If I had the behind the seat option in the s cab I would've done that. That compact all in one jobby looks interesting. Worth a shot if they have no hassle returns. Looks like you could hide that just about anywhere.
I'll give them a shout because I would rather have an external amp and a couple of eights in a box. I will probably give one a try through crutchfield if I do so I can use there 60 day return policy if I really dont like it.

Trending Topics

Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I went with the Ford OEM 10" self powered Kicker sub. Gives me a back massage when I crank it up lol. Best part is it looks like it came with the truck. Tucks away under the rear driver seat. Both are sealed boxes and down fire. Amp is 200W but the speaker can handle 400W if you wanted to upgrade it. It comes with the harness for connecting.

With the seat down you'd never know it was there.

This is the super cab model I have.

This is the crew cab model you might want.

Last edited by RLXXI; 04-24-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jprevat
This is one of the units I have been contemplating. The guy from crutchfield recommended the sound ordinance 8" but I dont know the brand and I dont mind spending a little more to get something reliable.

What do you drive and where is yours mounted if you dont mind me asking?
2018 screw, I have it behind the driver side passenger seat. I have the levels set slightly above halfway and it fills with enough bass to keep up with my amplified speakers.

My first time listening to it I could hardly discern where the speakers ended and where the sub began, works really well for its purpose and hasn't deteriorated the sound quality of my music at all (that was really important for me).
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I went with the Ford OEM 10" self powered Kicker sub. Gives me a back massage when I crank it up lol. Best part is it looks like it came with the truck. Tucks away under the rear driver seat. Both are sealed boxes and down fire. Amp is 200W but the speaker can handle 400W if you wanted to upgrade it. It comes with the harness for connecting.

With the seat down you'd never know it was there.

This is the super cab model I have.

This is the crew cab model you might want.

I feel like I need to go underseat to get any real power out of a sub and those look like a really good option if I do go that route.

Originally Posted by deejaylew
2018 screw, I have it behind the driver side passenger seat. I have the levels set slightly above halfway and it fills with enough bass to keep up with my amplified speakers.

My first time listening to it I could hardly discern where the speakers ended and where the sub began, works really well for its purpose and hasn't deteriorated the sound quality of my music at all (that was really important for me).
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Just some more low end so that when I go to components up front it will all mesh really well.

Quick Reply: Compact Subwoofer Opinions