General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chivalry? IS it Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Default Chivalry? IS it Dead?

Went to start my truck this morning, couldn't back out my driveway since there was a line of cars behind me at the stop sign. I knew 2 of the guys and thought they were stand-up gentlemen. This lady pulls her van in the intersection across from the front of my house and blocks that side of the intersection, gets out a bends over infront of her front drivers side tire, and starts messing with the lugs by hand. I understand she was not the prettiest lady in the world, but seriously everyone lined up at the stop sign just looked at her, stopped at the stop sign and kept going. WTF!!!!
Turned my truck off got out walked across the street, by this time she is in the van rolling a foot or so at a time and having her daugter(9th grade age I guess) try to turn the lugs by hand when she stops. I asked if she needed a hand tighting them and she siad if you have time. I went grab my T-Bar out of the trunk of my mustang, parked in the garage, and went tighten the lugs, as best I could with out a Jack. The wheel seemed to be seated well on the hub despite that the lugs where held on by 3 threads and one was sheared off, none of them had any threads where the wheels were riding on them. She said it was sheared when they tried tightenig it at her house, a week ago, looked like a recent shear no rust yet, 45* shear means it was under torsion when it broke.

I know I should have jacked up the van, but did what I could, Told her to drop her daughter off at school, (mile up the road), then head straight to wal-mart and get the wheel and hub checked out and the lugs replaced.

Hope-fully she listened.

Why could not any of those other guys stop and help her. The only thing I can see if she was 5'8'' 110 , with C+ chest they would have stopped in a heartbeat. All I could think was that wheel comes off causes a wreck and her and her daughter and who ever was in another vehicle involved could have been seriously hurt, or worse.

What are ya'll thoughts on chivalry, dead or not? Ladies feel free to chime in too.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Not dead, people have helped my wife a couple times with flats, I stop and help people when possible.

Is it on life support? Most definitely.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not dead with me, i woulda done the same thing.

but ya, it is sad to see people pass someone doing something that idiotic, specially a decent looking woman
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good on you for stopping, but don't bash others for not. The world has changed and people don't seem to generally care about other people, unless they know them, anymore. It is also possible the others didn't see/weren't aware of the issue she was having or didn't have time to stop. Either way...as previously stated...good on ya and I say no, chivalry is not dead, but no where near as prevelant as it used to be.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I think it depends on the age demographic, probably even just maturity level.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTR-P
Good on you for stopping, but don't bash others for not. The world has changed and people don't seem to generally care about other people, unless they know them, anymore. It is also possible the others didn't see/weren't aware of the issue she was having or didn't have time to stop. Either way...as previously stated...good on ya and I say no, chivalry is not dead, but no where near as prevelant as it used to be.
Wasn't bashing anyone. Just surprised.

One guy I would like to bash is the @55 that cursed my mother out when her fuel pump on here Lincoln town car went out and shut down in the isle, passed her up and cursed her out as she was pushing it into another spot, by her self.

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 05-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

It also has to do with the reactions of some people when you do stop to help.

I pulled over to help a woman who had a tire explode on her Jeep Grand Cherokee (1 tire exploded, three tires showing cords, and a roof rack full of a couple thousand in golf gear....) and she said no, she was going to wait for AAA. Not no thank you, just oozed attitude that irritated me in the few minutes of talking to her.

when I drove back that way a couple hours later, she was still waiting.....and no, I didn't stop again.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Most people are too busy to help anyone, unless it benefits them in some way.

I did my good deed last week. A guy a little younger than me had broke down in an old S-10. He was trying to push it to a parking area, but he was about 5'3" and having a hard time.

I stopped and helped him push it to the lot. Found out that he had to pick up his son from the sitter's. I dropped him off at his father's to get another vehicle, which happened to be on my way home anyway. He had a little trouble getting in my truck. LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

In almost 50 year's of driving I've helped lot's of people out. Changed flat's, jumped batteries and just helped them get off the road to a safer place if possible. You know how the road's are down here!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RajunKajun59
Wasn't bashing anyone. Just surprised.

One guy I would like to bash is the @55 that cursed my mother out when her fuel pump on here Lincoln town car went out and shut down in the isle, passed her up and cursed her out as she was pushing it into another spot, by her self.
Gotcha...guess I took the "WTF!!!!" the wrong way...lol.

Quick Reply: Chivalry? IS it Dead?