General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Catch Can Question

I know there are many threads covering catch cans but what are the recommendations for a 2017 2.4 twin turbo F150? Hasn't Ford solved the moisture and blowby problems yet? If not and catch cans work, why aren't they offered as an option? Is a vehicle used as a daily driver in a conservative manner really at risk?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm wondering the same thing

Is it ideal to have a catch can ? I recently put a cai on my f150 i looked and felt in the intake tubes i didn't feel any moisture but I did see oil colored residue inside the intake tube! I'm not even sure y that would b since the moisture problem comes from the inter cooler and not the fresh air side but anyway the color was past the port where a hose goes into it from some where...anyway I just want to know if I need catch can or not ...thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

All engines produce crankcase pressure, due to the spinning mass (I.E. crankshaft/rods). In days long ago, there was a downdraft tube that allowed the pressure and oil mist to simply escape into the atmosphere, which polluted. So the engine manufacturers routed the tube into the intake to be reburned. The catch can separates the oil mist contained in this crankcase pressure and keeps it off of the throttle plate where after a period of time, can cause a rough idle.
You only need a catch can on the passenger side. or, you can install a small filter (like the days of old) on what's still called the valve cover on the passenger side, but you'll need to clean it once in awhile to remove the oil mist. Depending on how hard you drive the vehicle, you will collect around a teaspoon or so of oil every month and a half to two months.