General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cash for Clunkers

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cash for Clunkers

I was watching the news and they showed a bunch of cars that were lined up from the cash for clunkers program. I saw a bunch of full size domestic trucks. I am a ford guy but I dont want to see any good american pickup go to the crusher! Is that what happens to all those trade ins. I hope those cars aren't just desroyed and wasted
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the goal to get low mileage vehicles off the road. Permanently.
All is not lost however my 1991 F150 became a 2009 F150 with a mileage increase from 13 to 17 MPG. For that little bit I got $4500.

If you want to save all the old trucks you could scury around ebay and craigs list offering $4501 for all of them.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Censored by the Man

If you want to save all the old trucks you could scury around ebay and craigs list offering $4501 for all of them. [/quote]

Thats a good idea, I just dont have any place to keep them. Oh yeah, or the cash.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

form what I have heard, the motor is "killed" with a solution of sodium silicate and themn it's turned over to the auto dismantler ie; salvage yard for the normal course of disposal. Killing the motor really tourques off the salvage yard since the engine is the most valuable part.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Censored by the Man

Ouch! That hurts.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM

What does sodium silicate do ? Literally sounds like salt/sand.

The only thing about C4C that I was afriad of was that people would be hauling in non running surface rust only classics that would be crushed, forever destroying a valuable source of parts for collectors/restorers.

The way it has happened though I have no real problems other than it could be considered a waste of tax money. The cars must be insured and registered and driveable and less than 25 years old. No crushing of pre 1970 rare cars by fools that didn't know what they had thank goodness.

Might be a good time to start an Explorer collection. They are BY FAR
the most turned in vehicle and MIGHT seem rare in decades to come.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:03 PM

I just wonder comparatively speaking what the energy cost of producing a new vehicle is vs restoring a used one. And then comparing it to the fuel savings of the new vs old. Is there really enough to warrant the added deficit to the Nat'l Debt.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Maybe we should find a way to make our gas burn cleaner and more efficiently without sacrificing our economy. Maybe we should put that kind of money into research or retooling old cars. What is the cost of conversion to natural gas?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Censored by the Man

Probably not, but it makes Obama look better. And thats all he wants. More power and a better image. They bashed Bush about spending for years, then Obama comes in and Tripples the defecit and hes supposed to be a hero... ya right!

Sorry I will not make this about politics.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A Little Politics is Good for Your Health:

Here we are with Fed Gov all bent out of shape trying to get us to use econo-boxes and save fuel and we have within our borders a reserve of crude oil four times the amount of all the reserves in the world.....just can't seem to get past the EPA and get the stuff out of the ground. More good news: The EPA has every offshore oil-drilling lease locked up in litigation, about 465 leases, so that reserve is also not available to us. When Pelosi and friends allowed the ban on offshore drilling to expire they failed to include a proviso to prevent the filing of lawsuits against the drilling companies by the EPA and like-minded inmates of our sanitariums.

Hey, with friends like Fed Gov, who needs enemies??

Last edited by Kattumaram; 08-15-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers