General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use lift torsion keys with a lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use lift torsion keys with a lift kit

my 03 F150 has rough country leveling kit with the aftermarket lift torsion keys. It is wearing out cv boots so I am going with a zone 6" lift to do it right. Do I need to replace the torsion keys with stock or can I adjust the aftermarket one low enough to have proper front end geometry? I no longer have the stock ones and I can't find any for sale so if anyone has them for sale let me know
Old 04-01-2021, 07:10 PM
has left the building

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,467 Posts

You can keep the torsion keys you have now and lower it to a stock equivalent.

Best results are to lower it to stockish now then install the lift.
If a shop is doing the lift then no need as they should take care of everting including the alignment, or at least will inform you that you'll need an alignment.

A lifting torsion key is the same as a factory key, except is offset a little giving the user just a little more lift ability from their torsion bars.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thats what I was thinking but figured I would double check. I will be doing the lift install myself. I already ordered new axles and control arms
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 PM
has left the building

Sounds good.
The torsion keys may be helpful to get it even side by side and/or gain that little extra.

I dont know what a lift is like on those years so returning to stock height in advance of a lift installation may be unnecessary, if they call for a certain height anyway.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:18 AM

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

You can but your going to sacrifice ride quality more than if you did a lift....I did that with my old ranger and it wasn't the best idea
Old 04-02-2021, 11:21 AM
has left the building

Torsion keys will not at all affect ride quality if the ride height is near stock.

The replacement keys allow greater twist of the torsion bar. A certain amount of twist applied to the torsion bar is what holds the vehicle upright....the pre-determined amount of spring tension. If a person uses a replacement key from a lift company and sets it to ride height, the spring tension of the torsion bar is not at all altered.

A replacement key is simply reindexed. Think of it like tightening a bolt to torque spec with a ratchet but the handle bumps against an object before torque is met. You then ratchet back a few clicks and continue turning until torque is reached -allowing you to turn the bolt a little further. It is the same thing with a torsion key -you are unable to lift high enough so you add a new key which has a different start point -then by time you reach the end of travel, the torsion bar has been twisted further adding torque therefore lifting the vehicle.

Unless the lift keys, when backed off fully, is still higher than stock, the keys will not make a difference. In my experience on a GM vehicle with torsion keys, Replacement keys at stock offer identical ride characteristics. It isn't until you twist it enough to screw up the upper control arm geometry that ride characteristics are altered.

I hope that is written clearly enough for the physics of the torsion bar (torsion spring) and it's operation.

Quick Reply: Can you use lift torsion keys with a lift kit