Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the manufacturing differences between a 2.7 and 3.5 EB ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Can someone explain the manufacturing differences between a 2.7 and 3.5 EB ?

I have a few threads going; one which is a thread asking about the pluses and minuses of the 2.7, 3.5, and 5.0. That has been 'interesting'....

I have never owned an F150.... and never owned a FORD, period. So, am trying to get a little education before I make a large $ investment decision.

Can some of the more technically minded give me an overview of the history of the 3.5 EB and the 2.7 EB?

I read some time ago about the 2.7 being 'specifically' built from the ground up as a 'turbo' engine, whereas the 3.5 was an evolutionary devolopment from a naturally aspirated engine. I have no idea if that is remotely true or not.... but I am curious and would like to figure out what I want....with RELIABILITY being high on the list. I have read that the 2.7 EB is constructed of a 'carbon steel' makeup, like the diesel - - which I assume is a good thing. Is that the case for the 3.5 as well?

What major improvements has the 3.5 EB undergone, and did these updates prove out to be successful to the operation and longevity of the engine?? Does the 3.5 EB have the dual port/direct injection like the updated 2.7 got this year? I am having difficulty finding that info. I assume this was done to keep carbon buildup off the valves?

I thought I had settled on the new 5.0 V8 until I came across a few horror story threads of the 2018 version having all sorts of problems, not starting if the gas tank wasn't over 1/4 tank full... or on level ground.... metallic knocking, and all sorts of crap. So... now I am effectively scared ******less of buying a 5.0.... and am back to looking at the EB variants.... that is the backstory to this thread. I would like to hear also if the metallic knocking of the 5.0V8 has been troubleshot and fixed, or if it continues to be a problem.

So.... I am wondering which engine (2.7 or 3.5) might have the best reliability track record in REAL numbers..... not macho, ego driven BS.

At this point I don't know what to do.... it seems like every brand I research (Chevy, RAM, Ford, Toyota) has major issues in one area or another.... maybe I should buy a John Deere tractor instead.

Thanks for all the insight you can provide.... I am sort of concerned about the 5.0 V8 now.... and I have read some sketchy things about the 3.5 too.... I am hoping they have been worked out? Thanks for the lowdown.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

I thought you were all but sold on the 5.0?

The 2.7 block is a compacted iron graphite, if I recall correctly. the 3.5 eb is an aluminum alloy block.
I am not sure whether either motor has forged pistons...I think they are powder forged? I believe the connecting rods and crankshafts are forged, however. They are both built to withstand the rigors of forced induction.

put a bunch of miles on a bunch of different trucks. If you're never going to tow anything, any motor will do fine. If you're going to tow heavy, look at the motors/trucks that are capable of doing so. Find which one you like to drive, and buy it. Get a 100k mile Ford extended warranty, if you are that concerned.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Friday (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Reliability these days is about as predictable as the spinning wheel for a prize at the local fair!

The issues are only "major" to those on the forums you're visiting.
If we all listened to everything everyone said on these forums regardless of truck manufacturer we'd all be riding the bus because no one would have the courage to buy anything.

Just pick what suits your needs and leave the reliability to the warranty and regular service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stu Cazzo:
Joe Friday (05-27-2018), rajacat (05-27-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
I thought you were all but sold on the 5.0?

The 2.7 block is a compacted iron graphite, if I recall correctly. the 3.5 eb is an aluminum alloy block.
I am not sure whether either motor has forged pistons...I think they are powder forged? I believe the connecting rods and crankshafts are forged, however. They are both built to withstand the rigors of forced induction.

put a bunch of miles on a bunch of different trucks. If you're never going to tow anything, any motor will do fine. If you're going to tow heavy, look at the motors/trucks that are capable of doing so. Find which one you like to drive, and buy it. Get a 100k mile Ford extended warranty, if you are that concerned.
I was pretty well decided on the 5.0. But after reading the recent thread where several people complained about 'metallic' knocking in the engine and other things, it scared the crap out of me.....
Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The 3.5 EB is based on the 3.5 NA that has been in production for years and has been a very reliable engine. They share the block, and a few other components, but everything else has been designed to work under the pressures of a turbo. The turbos are water cooled, and the cooling is designed to circulate when the engine is off to continue cooling them after shutdown, so a turbo timer is not needed. The heads use Direct Injection and well as starting in 2017 MPFI. Ford did extensive testing, torturing it under extreme conditions, and with well over 1 million of them made, has shown to be very reliable.

The 2.7 is designed from the ground up using lessons learned from the 3.5, and has shown so far to be a pretty reliable rugged engine.

The 5.0, is a solid NA engine that is one of the most powerful in it's size. It is also built from the ground up.

Each engine has it's purpose and you just can't go wrong with any of them, provided you get the one that will fit what you are looking to do with the truck. If you plan to do heavy towing, the 3.5 is the best, if you just want to drive a pickup every day with occasional light hauling, the 2.7 is the choice, and if you want a general all around truck for hauling and towing, the 5.0 is the choice. Just remember that in a forum, you only hear complaints, and with the huge number made, the complaints will be .000something of the overall perfectly running ones. Even though the truck I got is a royal POS, the 3.5EB in it has been flawless. Now if only the rest of the truck would be.
The following 3 users liked this post by acdii:
Dave Z (05-27-2018), Joe Friday (05-27-2018), UnkLeRaRa (05-31-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

The 1st gen 3.5EB is based on the NA version but that engine was designed and engineered for turbocharging from the beginning.
Joe Friday (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:54 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

As mentioned the 2.7 was purpose built from the ground up. I've actually been told by two different tuners that I've become friends with that they truly feel the 2.7 long-term is a much more reliable choice than the 3.5.

Also as mentioned a good amount of people come to forums to complain, I actually had terrible luck with my old 2013 3.5 ecoboost so now I'm seriously considering getting a 2019 5.0 next truck.

In reality it's all luck of the draw and the problem trucks are still a very very small percentage.
Joe Friday (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
I was pretty well decided on the 5.0. But after reading the recent thread where several people complained about 'metallic' knocking in the engine and other things, it scared the crap out of me.....
Reading the interwebs about ANYTHING brings up fears that are largely unfounded. First, 99% of people don't post on forums. Ford sells several thousand F-150s a day. A very, very small percentage have any issue.

​​​​​You read 3 people talking about a problem, swearing they have it. One of them is a liar. He in fact didn't put oil in, ran the engine dry, and now wants Ford to replace it. One doesn't have the issue, but read about it, and swears they have it. Like a person that reads about a disease and is then sure they have it. The third doesn't even have that feature on their truck...

Stop reading and buy.

Edit - previous post noted TWO tuners that FEEL that the 2.7 is a much more reliable choice than the 3.5. People have posted that Ford mechanics at a dealer FEEL that the 5.0 is better. I feel like a cheeseburger. All same value. None based on actual FACTS.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 05-27-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Joe Friday (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Buy a CPO and get the "factory" extended warranty on the powertrain.
chimmike (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dannofx4
Reliability these days is about as predictable as the spinning wheel for a prize at the local fair!

The issues are only "major" to those on the forums you're visiting.
If we all listened to everything everyone said on these forums regardless of truck manufacturer we'd all be riding the bus because no one would have the courage to buy anything.

Just pick what suits your needs and leave the reliability to the warranty and regular service.
Agree 100% with this assessment. ....we'd all be riding the bus.

Cases in point:

2013 F150 Scab 3.5 Eco. 66K mi and not a single hiccup.

Owned Jeep Grand Cherokees since 1999 (traded every 3 yrs, most in excess of 100K at trade-in) and in spite of Consumer Reports otherwise, every one bullet-proof reliable.

Owned BMW's since 1986, total of 8 different models (currently 2014 5 series and 2017 X3) and never had any major problems with a single one. Most traded with excess of 100K on the odo, a 2003 that 180K. All extremely reliable.

I believe key is maintaining as per mfgr's spec.

My experience with most forums is that those with problems are the posters. People tend to talk about the bad news. The silent ones are ones who generally are overall pleased with their vehicles. Many many many more of the latter than the former.
The following 2 users liked this post by kinerin:
Joe Friday (05-27-2018), Ricktwuhk (05-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the manufacturing differences between a 2.7 and 3.5 EB ?